Optimizing for Quad Core Q6600?

Drvrutin

n00b
Hi, I´m not quite sure where to post this question but I´ll try here.

I just upgraded my system from a P4 to a Quad Q6600. I´m using it for audio production software. The differences in performance are not what I´d expected it to be. It seems not to be working at full capacity. It should be able to handle much more plugins without overloading the CPU. I have a feeling that the system is not set up properly.

I´ve updated the BIOS, installed the latest chipset drivers and downloaded Windows updates. Is there any settings that needs to be done in BIOS for the system to take full advantage of the Quad Core (without overclocking)? I´ve got to be missing something.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Best Regards

/Patrik

Firstly, I would see if your application supports multicore processors. Otherwise, the Quad will only help you a little more than the last.

check to make sure all cores are active.
press control+alt+del
check under the performance tab. you should have 4 graphs.

The application supports multiprocessors and is set up properly. The graph shows all four CPU:s. But it seems as the processing is not equally distributed between the CPU:s. Only one is working hard the other 3 are at low levels. Is there any way of making them work equally?

EDIT: Can it have something to do with the fact that I´m working on XP 32bit OS. Could 64bit contribute to better performance?

The application supports multiprocessors and is set up properly. The graph shows all four CPU:s. But it seems as the processing is not equally distributed between the CPU:s. Only one is working hard the other 3 are at low levels. Is there any way of making them work equally?

This would be an issue with the software you are using. You'll have to ask the developers.

As far as XP 32bit vs, using Vista/XP 64bit, that would depend on if your application has a 64bit version. Otherwise there would probably not be any improvement. You'll have to ask the software developer whether or not their application can utilize multiple cores and what OS is required for doing so.

EDIT: Can it have something to do with the fact that I´m working on XP 32bit OS. Could 64bit contribute to better performance?

That sounds like it does NOT support multi-processors, or at least, does not USE multi processors anyway.

I performed a very similar upgrade for a client of mine. Dual core extreme edition P4 and I upgraded him to a Q6600. He complained later that his performance in Photoshop was not what he expected. I recommended he upgrade to CS2, and when he did, it was a world of difference, simply becuase his older version did not use all the cores and CS2 did. Definatly sounds like an application issue.

Does the audio processing need to stream data to/from a hard drive? If so, you could be starving the application of data to process. Knowing the application in use would probably help.

It does support multiprocessing. Anyway that´s what they firmly claim. The option is ticked in the setup. Cubase SX3 by the way. As you say it definitely does not make any use of it. Sorry, but I dont know what CS2 is. But would indeed like to.

The software (Cubase SX3) streams data from drives. But there´s a disk streaming meter that does not indicate any kind of overload. It´s barely noticable. It´s seems to be really an issue of plugins that strain the CPU. All on the same core. As you say I should probably turn to the software manufacturer for information.

EDIT: The manufacturer says very clearly to disable Hyperthreading in BIOS to make use of multicores. But I can find any setting for that. Guess it autodetects multicore and automaticaly disables HT.

Core 2 processors don't have Hyperthreading. It does seem that Cubase is supposed to scale..

About the only thing I can think of is finding the process in Task Manager, right clicking and checking in the Set Affinity window that it's allowed to use all four cores, but it would be odd if it wasn't.

Many "multiprocessor optimized" applications are not currently designed to take advantage of more than two CPUs (i.e. two computationally intensive threads), so you might have two cores with 80-100% load and the others with 0-20% load.

Not quite. There´s only one CPU workin at about 80-90% the other 3 are close to zero.

I´ve checked in the task manager and all four cores are enabled. I´ve also tried to set the priority to "realtime" in the process window for the application but without success.

If you read their support website, it suggests turning OFF hyperthreading because some of the the plugins don't work right with it, which translates into 4 cores won't work right either with those plugins.

They say, as I´ve understanded it, that if you use multiple cores you should turn of HT. They clearly say that their software supports multicores.

Anyway, thank you very much indeed everybody for your support. It has at least given me a push in the right direction. Thanx once more!!

And should anyone come up with a solution I would gladly hear about it.

Best Regards

/Patrik

I've scanned through this thread twice but haven't seen any mention of this. Did you reinstall windows when you upgraded?

Both the kernal and HAL are different between uniprocessor and multiprocessor installations. I don't think that windows will automagically start using all cores if you just change hardware, despite their appearance in taskmanager.

I´ve also tried to set the priority to "realtime"
The explanation is kind of longwinded, but don't use realtime.

Google reveals that many people have smp daws running this same software, so I think you are correct in your assumption that there is a setup issue somewhere. HT really shouldn't be an issue with anything here.

Yes, I´ve installed Windows after the upgrade. Are there any settings to be made within the installation of Windows concerning the use of multicores?

I´ve read something about a hotfix from Microsoft that should solve the problem. But I tried it without success. Maybe one has to reinstall the application after installation of the hotfix. Really don´t know.

If you're seeing all 4 cores in the task manager (which you are) windows is properly setup.

I assume you have the latest version of SX3? If so, it sounds like the software vendor was misleading when they said they took advantage of multiple cores.

Every multithreaded application will use all cores, but the application must be specifically coded to split computationally intensive tasks across multiple threads to see the full benefit on multi-core processors. It sounds like your particular application uses a single thread for the bulk of the processing, with other threads using for minor, non-intensive tasks.

Supporting multi processors and fully utilizing multi processors are 2 totally different animals. I am not saying to give up your quest to optimize your application, but it just may be that the type of work that is being accomplished does not lend itself to multi threading very well.

Programming for multi threaded apps is very tricky, and programmers are still learning how to optimize their code.

Does this application have a forum on their website where you can talk to other users to gauge their experience with yours? Or are there any enthusiast web sites that have a section devoted to your program. That would be the best way to see if your experience is typical, or if you have room for improvement. Could save you alot of hassles if that's the best it can do right now.

You can always clock the CPU a bit. Or even switch to a faster 2 core processor.

Don

/Edit/ Doh! Ken stole my thunder. Read the entire post Don. :)/Edit/

It´s seems to be really an issue of plugins that strain the CPU. All on the same core. As you say I should probably turn to the software manufacturer for information.

Need to contact the plugin developers for updates. If they are not designed to be multi threaded, you wont see them even distributed. Best bet is to activate the plugin and change the affinity manaully.

Hi Drvrutin, i am having the same issues.

I am running Cubase SL3 with M-Audio Delta 24/96. I upgraded my PC to a Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4 Meg Ram, Asus P5N-D. I am experiencing extremely high CPU loads through the monitor in Cubase itself. When opening a new project the meter is around 20%... at this point i have not loaded any simple Steinberg supplied VST's like reverb A or B or audio or anything for that matter. If i load any VST's the CPU meter jumps up to around 70% usage. If i load Guitar Rig 2 or Amplitube and play on an Audio track the PC plays for about 20 seconds and then freezes.

I spoke to my UK distributer who tell me i have more than the required specs, so there may be a compatibility issue with something. I have tried changinf the sample rates on the sound card to various settings. If anything the results are worse.

How can this be? Very fast computer, loads of Ram... cant operate simpleVST's!!!

Hope that between us we can find a solution.

Bob

Back