Optimal Wireless config?

ViriiGuy

Limp Gawd
Howdy all,

I am currently using a el cheapo Wireless router, an AOpen AOI-892 802.11G 4 port router. We have been usingit for a couple months with our 2 m6805 laptops. But I am
not entirely pleased witht he performance atm.

I do see the peak speeds around 54kps, which is pretty good, but the problem is, that is not consistant. Alot of times, we have to refresh a webpage 4 or 5 times befor it will load.
We do not have this problem on the wired connections, so I figure it must me my setup
on the Wireless.

What do you guys reccommend as an optimal Wireless config. What mode of encryption, etc etc etc etc. I want it to be secure, but not hinder on performance. Everything should run on the same channel, no? This is the only wireless adapter in my building, so I am not
worried about encroaching on someone else's signal.

Any info is greatly appreaciated.

Randy

some general tips:
-turn off SID broadcasting.
-use 128bit WEP encryption. (use automatic authentication mode with a keyphrase)
-if all of your wireless cards are 802.11G than turn enable G singal only. a lot of wireless are in B and G broadcast mode.
-i'd enable MAC address filtering so others can't hijack your wireless connection.

that's about all i can think of. as for improving performance, the only thing to try is moving it to another spot. also, check the mfg's website to see if they have new firmware for the router.

Thank you Darkpark,

I took your suggestions, and applied them. The location should not be a problem.
Neither of our laptops is ever more than 20 feet from the router. And usually they
are within 5-10 feet. I have checked a few times for a firmware update, but I highly
doubt Aopen will be releasing any for this model. Heck I only paid 12 bucks for it :D

Thank you again, We will see if it helps any.

Randy

Move to a different channel then the default one. With so many AP's in the world now and most of them being on the default channel it helps to change that.

Back