Optimal Viewing distance

AzmoDeus

n00b
With all this new and shiny Lcd HD TVs coming out i am thinking of buying one for my room.
For use as a Tv and as Computer monitor for movies etc..

I am thinking of buying a 32" and the viewable distance is going to be around 2meters, maximum 2.5.

According to a myth here if you are viewing a TV (doesn't matter if its Lcd or not) from a very close distance, it's harmful for your eyes. Is it true?

PS: i know it's true for TVs with older technology but even with LCDs ? 8o(

I think for the 37" westinghouse the viewing distance at minimum is 2-3 feet. It would really depend on the resolution you are using and video source etc... Keep that in mind when asking for the best viewing distance.

When i am watching a DvD it will be from my pc, so i guess the max res either the monitor or my gfx card can handle.

whne i am using it as a normal TV, then resolution of a normal Tv ( no HD channels here)

I have always heard the rule of using 1.5x whatever the viewing size of your monitor is good for view distance etc.. If you really want to know for sure one thing you can do is hit your local electronics store and stand 6 feet away from a 32" screen and see how you like it. Move forward some to see what the minimum distance would be, of course make sure the TV is playing a dvd to accommodate your needs.

Heres something useful...

On a related topic, would viewing an LCD monitor too close have any health effects on the eyes? Our moms have always been telling us to not sit too close to the TV, but thats a CRT which has slight electrons (I think) emitting through the glass.

Yes CRT's use an electron tube or gun rather that fire electrons at the screen to display your image.

thanx for the help and the chart....
probably i will go to a shop to see for myself the distance in which i am comfortable to use it...

parsona said:
Our moms have always been telling us to not sit too close to the TV, but thats a CRT which has slight electrons (I think) emitting through the glass.

since i am having a bit of headache on this ground from my parents, is there any professional document etc saying that? just to satisfy my curiousity

Google is your friend :p

I searched on "sitting too close to the tv" and quite a few articles came up that said basically the same thing: For TVs made after 1968, there is no health risk (older TVs emitted some x-rays). However, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that sitting too close to the TV, holding a book too close while reading, etc. can affect one's eyesight ("cause" nearsightedness).

I think I got nearsightedness from sitting to close to my tv and monitor -_- when I was younger I had perfect vision! now I need glasses to see anything far away.

Same here, except it was reading books - we're talking early 80s here :D

I got LASIK done about a year and a half ago. So far it's been stable whereas prior to that pretty much every year's optometrist appt. resulted in me needing a new prescription.

Back