Optimal RAID1 Setup

havokator

Limp Gawd
For the best data security, would it be better to run a RAID1 array with 2 different brand hard drives (such as 1 WD and 1 seagate), or to run 2 identical hard drives?

Normally for a RAID array you want to use the exact same hard drives, but I was thinking for a RAID1, it would be better to use 2 different drives to reduce the chance of both drives failing at the same time.

Any thoughts on the matter?

if you buy two of the same hard drives from the same batch, and there is a defect in one of the drives, the chance of the 2nd drive also having a problem is much higher than if it was a totally different drive.

This makes no difference. Your chances will be the same. Also, are you using software RAID? If so it's cool. If not, I would totally use the same drives for consistency (I personally would do it anyways).

Does using the motherboard's on-board ICH10R controller count as software or hardware RAID?

Last edited:
software. it will process operations using your cpu. a hardware raid will always have a dedicated cpu and ram to handle only drives.

if you buy two of the same hard drives from the same batch, and there is a defect in one of the drives, the chance of the 2nd drive also having a problem is much higher than if it was a totally different drive.

no offense, but can you cite any actual study that says this, or is it just one of those things people 'know'?

software. it will process operations using your cpu. a hardware raid will always have a dedicated cpu and ram to handle only drives.

No, this is FakeRAID, not software RAID or hardware RAID. Even though both use the CPU to process the information, software and FakeRAID are totally different.

Back