Optical Mouse Jumps to Bottom Left Corner.

chanchan

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone, I noticed this happens a lot with different system setups.

If you do a quick Google search you'll see many people reporting same issues, but with the weirdest responses.

1) This is an issue where the mouse ONLY jumps to the bottom left corner.
2) This is NOT a dirty mouse/bad surface issue.
3) Seems to only occur in Windows XP from what I recall.

I test many machines with many setups, but I noticed this happens quite often and it's annoying. Even on my home machine, could it be a particular mouse ie: certain Logitech revisions, or a software issue?

Any ideas,
Thanks!

I've had it happen as well, not enough times for it to ever be any sort of a real problem though.

No idea what causes it, being most basic mice (all I use is basic mice- not gaming mice or anything that need drivers), so Windows drivers are running it. My guess is it is something in the OS...

1. Have you tried different Logitech drivers (or no driver at all)?
  2. Have you tried a different USB port?
  3. Is your mouse wireless? If so, change the battery and try again.
  4. Again, if your mouse is wireless, move the receiver closer to your mouse surface (eg; front of computer or using an USB extension cord.)
  5. Does the offending computer have the same problem with another mouse or just this particular one? If just this one, it could just be a defective mouse where some computers are more forgiving than others.

I've had similar problems with the mouse because of other system drivers not being correct. They caused problems on USB attached devices like the keyboard and mouse. So it might not just be the drivers for the mouse. Also if you are using a Logitech, try using the built in Windows drivers instead.

I never install drivers for a mouse, they use the Windows default. I wonder if installing drivers even make a difference? It's strange because I notice this happens quite often, but NOT in Vista. At least I have YET to see it happen in Vista ...

Maybe I'll try a different mouse and see if it happens again, it's just that it's a common problem and I was wondering if anyone actually knew why this happened.

I worked as both a computer technician and now I'm a technologist, I test many systems everyday so I run into weird problems all the time. However, this mouse thing is just bugging me ... and it's ALWAYS bottom left corner ... trust me type that in, in Google you see a bunch of posts, but lots of common-sense replies which DON'T apply.

I've been noticing this on several different systems over the last couple of months. WinXP boxes with both MS and Logitech mice.

Back