Optical Metro Network

Keith130 said:
I beg to differ, whenever I undertake a project (admittadly never one of this magnitude) I dive in the deep end and find out what I need to learn and get on with it. Thats how I operate. I'll take the given cisco certifacations as suggestions.

Thanks for the link, I think i've pretty much got all my current questions answered. I'll post again if I have anymore I think someone here could help me with.

While I admire your sheer determination I don't think that will power alone is enough to get you certified as a CCIE. I wish you luck and I hope this doesn't turn into a financial disaster. This is by far the most interesting thread of the day.

Well I also hope that it doesnt turn into a financial disaster.

I just want to clarify to everyone that this is still conceptual, I am researching its viability as a buisness and how I can go about it - there is potential for nothing could come out of this.

But you may also be interested to know that this is the family buisness so to speak. My dad does basically the samething out in the east on remote islands, hooking them up with Voice, Video and Data distributed through WiFi but instead of an optical backbone they use VSAT connections and rent the bandwidth needed. So I'm not completely new to the concepts, just to the optical stuff :)

umm if you're working with an OC backbone and trying to full your speed subscriptions, remember one thing

OC-12 (622mbit) will stomp the shit out of Gig-E

dont forget to take into accuont ethernet overhead when looking for how much bandwidth you need

This guy is just pulling your chains, guys.
No one hands over a multi-million dollar project over to someone who doesn't even know the technologies, or doesn't have a design firm to even conceptualize this project.

Total BS here

I am not pulling anyones chains, how dare you.

This project has not been 'handed over' this is purely mine and my buisness friends project. Now if you had actually read the thread in its entirety you would know that, you would also know that I have said:

"Thats why I came back the forum; to learn as much as I can before we are forced to seek expert help."

I don't want to go to some expert and look like an idot when I have no idea what it is I am asking them to do for us. If you have any decency you will remove your comment and be more trusting next time.

SYN ACK said:
OC-12 (622mbit) will stomp the shit out of Gig-E

dont forget to take into accuont ethernet overhead when looking for how much bandwidth you need

I thought that GigE ran at 1000Mbps? Plus it can be aggregated.

Raise a good point about the overhead I had forgotten about that. What's it dependant on, does it depend on the protocols being used?

I think I'm missing your point, with a GigE network in the datacentre it will more than handle an OC-12 ring even when saturated no?

Anyway since the ring needs to able to run the entrie networks capacity I was thinking of using an OC-48 ring so it is scaleabe for adding more PoP's and for possible IP/TV use, an idea that was added in yesterday.

this is a tangent (FYI you have a bout a million tangents going on in this thread, since you are asking questions about anything/everything someone mentions, which means you seriously are not ready to do this project by yourself; sorry for saying)

put an oc-12 in your core backbone
and put a 1x1000base ethernet link in your backbone
see which one gets better performance

I've been sitting back reading this thread but I must jump in to say that the above poster at least sounds right when comparing OC-12 to Gig-Ethernet. It makes sense to me that OC-12 would be faster b/c ethernet never gets to its true maximum. Have you guys ever watched your network bandwidth meters? I haven't worked with OC-12 but for the very fact that it is a WAN tech and that only the big companies use it helps me to understand that it must be pretty good.

keep in mind with atm you have a fixed size cell (instead of a variable size frame)
so the hardware ASIC can be designed around this, thus being much more efficient

with ethernet framing, the switching ASICs have to be able to handle various sized frames

ethernet also simply has more overhead due to design

but, all that overhead is just another reason why ethernet won the desktop battle vs atm ;)

sorry for tangenting but it's a good discussion.

what i meant by it is, you may be trying to allocate out xxx bandwidth for each PoP via ethernet, but you can subtract a little bit of that when comparing what you need for the atm backbone

For a P to MP WAN circuit, an ATM backbone is the only true way to go. GigE is great if it's just a P to P circuit, where IP traffic is the only thing involved.

Back