Optical line in + PS3

synergyo1

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
3,591
Currently I have the audio from the PS3 outputted via RCA to RCA-3.5mm adapter to the line in of my onboard sound (Gigabyte DS3 Rev2.0). From there I am listening to the audio on my HD555s.

I am wondering if it'll be beneficial for me to purchase a sound card with optical in such as this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118109

and have the card and PS3 connected via optical.
 
The PS3 is most likley outputting a encoded surround signal. Alot of cards won't be able to deal with the signal encoding and can for the most part only handle a stereo singal over the optical input. I don't think it will work in the manner you want it to.
 
The PS3 is most likley outputting a encoded surround signal. Alot of cards won't be able to deal with the signal encoding and can for the most part only handle a stereo singal over the optical input. I don't think it will work in the manner you want it to.

I see. So you are saying there won't be any sound quality difference from using optical between the PS3 and the soundcard versus using RCA to 3.5mm to the onboard sound when using headphones like the HD555.
 
No, what I am saying is if the PS3 is outputting encoded audio on the digital line -which is probably is, the soundcard won't be able to decode the info. so you'll probably get static...
if the PS3 is ouputting generic SPDIF stereo then sure the car can pick it up..if it sounds better or not compared to analog interconnect is a matter of opinion and a matter of the quality of digital input circuitry on the card.
I am not 100% sure qhat format the digital output of the game system is...I don't own one.
 
You are using headphones so you don't need to use DD with optical, stereo PCM will do. If the sound card has better components than PS3 for the digital-analogue conversion, you will get a better sound with a sound card. I don't think that PS3 has a good sound quality through analogue because the console is actually created with digital audio connection in mind(optical and HDMI). I would recommend you this card over the card in your first post.

@ Audioguy, PS3 has a lot of audio output options, you can just use stereo PCM, DD/DTS encoding, multichannel LPCM through HDMI at different sample rates and etc.
 
@ALG, that is what I was asking I wasn't sure if the PS3 defaulted to stereo PCM or encoded digital etc. -It's hard to recommend anything without that information. Then if that is the case then you can set the PS3 for stereo PCM and connect it to a optical ready soundcard and go and enjoy from there. That's the card I was gonna suggest to him. Great price nice features and is optical ready.
 
Back
Top