Optical In?

brfitzp1337

Limp Gawd
I have about 200$ for a speaker system, and i was looking at the logitech G51, and the logitech z5300e, none of which have optical. Thats fine as my pc has ports for surround sound, but my 360 only puts out a 5.1 signal via optical.

my motherboard (MSI P6N Sli 650i) has this for the audio:

Realtek ALC888 HD Audio
• Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
• Compliant with Azalia 1.0 spec.

It allows audio in through any of the 3.5mm jacks, but i've never used optical(Toslink). If i plug my 360 into my pc via the Toslink will the realtek manager let me set it up for audio in and play in 5.1?

No, I've looked around for all sorts of similar solutions; the Realtek can't decode Dolby Digital/DTS even through it's optical-in port. An X-Fi can do it provided it has the 5.25" I/O drive connected to it, but the sound ends up out of sync because it can't do it fast enough.

I'd just get a home theater in a box type of setup with a receiver (fairly easily done even at your $200 mark, check out places like shoponkyo.com for "refurbs" which are practically brand new) if you want 5.1 sound for both the PC and Xbox. You'll probably have to run some extra stereo 3.5mm -> 2x RCA cables from your PC to the receiver, but that's not really a big deal.

oh well, thanks a lot for the help, i guess i'll start looking at home theater systems.

No, I've looked around for all sorts of similar solutions; the Realtek can't decode Dolby Digital/DTS even through it's optical-in port. An X-Fi can do it provided it has the 5.25" I/O drive connected to it, but the sound ends up out of sync because it can't do it fast enough.

Yeah, because the digital inputs aren't really meant to do that. It's for recording, really.

I just bought Logitech z-5450 speakers for $211 shipped off of ebay. They have 2 optical in ports, and not to mention way better sound than the speakers you are looking at. These retail for $500 and are not manufactured anymore, but do a quick ebay search and you will find some in that 200$ price range.

FYI<

-Todd

P.S. these speakers kick ass.

Do the satellites swivel on their base and become wall mountable like the 5300's? If so I will grab myself a set as well.

Back