Optical In, 5.1 Analogue Out Problems.

Davedamon

n00b
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
2
Hope someone can help me with this, either with a solution or explain where I'm going wrong.

I have the following motherboard with up to date vendor drivers:
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 mobo with Gigabyte optical in bracket. Running Vista 64

I have the following set up:

xbox 360 > optical cable > optical in bracket > mother board > 3.5 mm 5.1 analogue output (on mobo) > Logitech X-550 speakers.

I was hoping the mobo would decode the dts/dobly signal from the xbox (can't remember which one it was) then output it through my speakers, giving me surround sound.

Now when I connect this all up and run my xbox, if I go into the sound mixer and look under recording devices, it registers an input from my optical cable. If I run a surround sound testing thing on one of my dvd's, which outputs through each speaker, the 'volume' bar goes up and down with the signal.
And when I run sound recorder, it records the signal, but it sounds just like clicks and whines (very digital).
Am I doing something wrong, ie my motherboard will only do pass through, so I need to use the optical out into a dolby/dts amp/decoder/speaker set? Or do I need certain realtek driver (I don't know which ones to download from the realtek site)

Any help greatfully appreciated (sorry for lack of pictures for clearer illustration)
 
Back
Top