Optical drives not refreshing in My Computer

roshambo14

n00b
Hi all. I'm hoping some of you can help me, because I have no clue what is wrong. When I remove a disc from either one of my optical drives and put another one in it, My Computer will not refresh itself to show the new disc. This makes it a problem when trying to burn a CD because the program thinks there is a regular CD in there instead of a blank one. If I click on the drive, it shows the correct contents, but the label doesnt change on the drive name, and right click > properties will also show the last disc in the drive. Only thing I have found to fix it so far is restarting, and even sometimes that doesnt work. Has anyone ran into this problem before? Its driving me nuts!

System specs are:

AXP 2600+
Asus A7V600
512MB Corsair VS
Maxtor 120GB IDE HD
Asus 9600XT 128MB
NEC 2500A DVD+/-RW
Lite ON XJ-HD166 DVD
Windows XP Professional

A few questions. Is this system brand new to you? Has it ever worked normally? If so, have you done anything in the past few days / weeks that might have changed what you are doing (i.e. new burner software, new DVD player software, changed system settings with tweak programs or OC'ing)?

If you're sure you haven't changed anything, you may want to try just going into safe mode, removing all instances of said drives, and then rebooting to let XP redetect. That may or may not work. You also may want to consider the latest drivers from VIA (should be the IDE miniport drivers), though that's starting to get a little more drastic. If following this route, you may want to uninstall the previous IDE drivers first.

For the heck of it, and to satisfy precaution, make sure there aren't any extra programs (viruses, malware) running in the background.

Cheers.

is auto-insert notification on? if not turn it on and see if that fixes it. Also see if the drive updates itself if you right click the drive and click eject, does it then recognize there is no CD in there?

Thats the auto insert notification in dev man CD properties (maybe disconnect also)
Nero tells you to turn it off, so I live with it - just have to click out and back in to Explorer or close and open mycomputer tree

oops - Czar was posting while i was typing

arkamw:

This is not a new system. Ive had it going since February or so. It used to work fine, and no I havent done anything in the past few days to it. Its actually been screwed for a good while now, I just dont really know how long. I never thought it was a problem until I tried to burn a CD on it to day, and it wouldnt recognize the blank CD until a reboot. The only tweak program I use is Tweak UI, but I restored all defaults related to autoplay and still no dice. Also, according to Ad-Aware, no malware is present. Ill check on the virus though, but I would seriously doubt it. If so, I have no idea how/where it came from it.

Ill try to remove said devices and let them get redetected and post back. Ill also try the VIA drivers if that doesnt work.

cisco guy: no dice. Only way to get it to update is a restart.

Then obvious thing would be to try a dif CDplayer or cleaning the laser glass with a q-tip

Removing the drives and letting XP redetect/install them did no good. Ill try the ViA drivers now, but Im not holding my breath. :(

cisco guy: Did you not read my original post? I have no trouble actually reading the disc. It just wont update and show the correct label. Cleaning the laser lens would do nothing for my problem. Also, I have 2 drives, and they both do the same thing. Obviously not a drive problem.

it doesn't sound like you've tried messing with the auto-insert notification yet though, nor have you tried seeing if right-clicking and selecting eject makes it recongnize the drive is empty...hard to help you out when you ignore the help...

Actually TheCzar, I did try that. I had a reply typed to you, and then I cut it, and forgot to paste it back in before I hit reply. Woops, sorry about that. Neither worked though.

Back