Optical drive for backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

antok86

[H]F Junkie
can anyone recommend a optical drive that would be use mainly for backing up dvd and blurays? Faster ripping speed the better
Thanks

This is just my opinion, others will have different opinions, of course. When it comes to DVD burners, just stick to the main companies. I don't have a BR burner, so I can't attest to that, but I'm pretty sure the buying logic would be the same. Go to Amazon, Newegg, etc, read reviews.

I just looked up to see that you are not a noob by any stretch. Didn't mean to treat you as such. But I stand by my advice.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives."

This is just my opinion, others will have different opinions, of course. When it comes to DVD burners, just stick to the main companies. I don't have a BR burner, so I can't attest to that, but I'm pretty sure the buying logic would be the same. Go to Amazon, Newegg, etc, read reviews.

When I first looked, I thought he was looking for a burner, but I think he is exclusively looking at ripping. Which would be good, since BD-R is terrible from a $/TB proposition, not to mention reliability.

yes strictly for ripping....never mentioned i was going to burn anything...lol

When I first looked, I thought he was looking for a burner, but I think he is exclusively looking at ripping. Which would be good, since BD-R is terrible from a $/TB proposition, not to mention reliability.
Actually, if anything, BD-R should be reliable because the recording medium has changed from organic (CD and DVD are all organic dye based discs) to inorganic (metallic oxide)

As long as the OP avoids the LTH discs (these are the organic discs, which is less reliable), the slightly more expensive HTL discs should be reliable. Multi-layered discs do not have this choice, they are all HTL, but their $/TB gets pretty high once you get past dual layer, and problem with multi layered discs is that they burn all the way to the edge before switching layers, and edge is usually where the disc data start to fail first.

I use HTL discs because I don't like putting all eggs into the same basket.

Specific BDRs made in Japan factories are of exceptional quality for those who want archival grade. You have to locate specific model/media ID numbers because the majority of what's out there is outsourced even from the big brands. And then of course there's M-DISC which is the very best, but really only needed for critical data.

Last edited:
I have couple different models of LG bluray. See no difference on ripping speed. The only thing I run into is sometimes a disc will not read on 1 drive, but will on another. Can see no correlation. I have 6 optical drives in active use.

The only major bit of advice is to get a full size optical drive, not the little USB powered laptop style drives. Have yet to see one that can come close to read speed of a full size drive.

But if you are transcoding a movie, you will be CPU bound long before you are bound by storage bandwidth.

I've been a pioneer fan since 8X DVD+/-RW was the fastest. I have two BD-R209D burners and they read and write everything I feed them. I have not looked into whether they have riplock but they are fast enough for me. The DVR-212D is still kicking in my LAN gaming machine.

Is Plextor still making good burners? Back in the day seemed they were the gold standard.

Is Plextor still making good burners? Back in the day seemed they were the gold standard.

They got bought out about 10 years ago. Just name only now. But ya, they were pimp back in the day!

cd-caddy-cd-rom-holder-for-plextor-sun-apple-amiga-commodore-cdtv-more-vintage-dd052bd7072e5d26aaa3c18c190697c8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back