• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Optical Drive disappeared (Windows 8)

jblue42

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
497
My LG Blu-Ray burner has disappeared from windows 8, I think this may have happened when I installed daemon tools lite last week (?) not entirely sure, just noticed.

In computer management there is a yellow exclamation by the drive:
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

{Unable to Load Device Driver}
%hs device driver could not be loaded.
Error Status was 0x%x

I have tried changing SATA ports, uninstalling and auto reinstalling drivers on restart, BIOS detects the drive fine, not sure what is going on here

Any ideas?
 
If you suspect a program is at fault, uninstall that program and see if there are any changes in behavior.

Also it is possible that the drive is toast and it's just by chance. I've seen weird stuff like that before with crazy timing.
 
Disable the device in device manager and uninstall the drivers if it allows you. Then reboot? Maybe roll back windows to a previous day if you have restore points enabled.
 
quite strange, the drive is working just fine on a different PC
detected and reads/writes fine on a windows 7 PC
 
Back
Top