Optical disk archival storage

4Will4

n00b
Hello-
I am wondering if there is a difference in 'M' disk DVD vs Blue Ray storage in terms of archival time . The info on this type of media is quite old. Do any of you know of recent data? Thanks

Just a thought, might have no merit. M Disk DVDs may have been manufactured much less recently than Blu Rays. There could be issues writing to them. But maybe not.

How long do you want to store stuff for?

just my two cents...

i used to do my backups with optical discs. i had a LOT of discs. i started with CD-Rs way back in the day (around '99 i think) and then went to DVD and later blu-ray.

what i found was that even with blu-ray i had a pile of discs taking up room in my home. i had several failures over time due to delamination of the discs. in the end i switched to using an external hard drive. if you do the math, it's cheaper per GB than any optical medium and more reliable. much faster to create backups too - i spent hours and hours burning those discs. if you have a secondary drive disconnected, it's really no different than having a pile of optical discs. only thing i can think of that would be different is if there were some sort of EMP event that destroyed the drive and let's be honest here - if there's an EMP powerful enough to take that drive out you have bigger problems to worry about.

as far as reliability, you're testing the backup every time you use it. run a checkdisk if it makes you feel better.

maybe there's another reason you're still after optical, like i said just my 2 cents.

Back