Optical Audio out

The Phantom

Weaksauce
Joined
May 28, 2005
Messages
66
Generally does an aftermarket sound card(like the Auzentech Prelude or SB Xfi) have a better optical out than say the built in mobo optical out. Currently I have a SB Audigy 2, but was looking at upgrading.

O/S = Vista 64
 
Technically, they all use the S/PDIF interface, so no. On the other hand, some cards are able to spit out a "bit perfect" signal, whereas others can't, which some believe is of paramount importance (it really isn't).

 
The optical connection isnt what differs.
Its the encoding used that differs between soundcards.

A few of the more recent cards can also send Hi Def sound to your amp via HDMI, these are needed to get the best from Blu Ray media.
You need an amp that supports HDMI Hi Def audio and HDMI video for this.
 
I have seen a couple, I know theres an asus one that supports, and one from Auzentech.

I'm just trying to decide if I should buy a receiver and power my klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 sat's from that receiver and then buy a 10" powered sub for a little more UMPH.
 
Unless space restricted, its better to buy hifi speakers once you get a decent receiver.
Be sure to read up on what is good for your price range.
Ebay is a great place to buy second hand speakers!
 
Unless space restricted, its better to buy hifi speakers once you get a decent receiver.
Be sure to read up on what is good for your price range.
Ebay is a great place to buy second hand speakers!

Space is not really the issue, was looking at just an "entry" way to get better sound from these Klipsch speakers. Then of course later replace them out as the budget allows. I'm just assuming that replacing the bash amp/sub combo klipsch has would indeed give me a better sound from the existing sats.
 
Yes, it is a good way to start getting a nice system together.
 
Don't be fooled by optical out. I bought an X-Fi Ti Fatality and a toslink cable to go to my Denon amp. I'm back on analog 5.1 inputs because the X-Fi won't pass normal 5.1 down an optical cable- JUST DTS and Dolby, which I don't want. GHEY on Creative's part.
 
Don't be fooled by optical out. I bought an X-Fi Ti Fatality and a toslink cable to go to my Denon amp. I'm back on analog 5.1 inputs because the X-Fi won't pass normal 5.1 down an optical cable- JUST DTS and Dolby, which I don't want. GHEY on Creative's part.

It isn't "GHEY" on Creative's part. Optical/coaxial will only pass 2 channel PCM, DD, and DTS. It isn't a soundcard issue.
 
Don't be fooled by optical out. I bought an X-Fi Ti Fatality and a toslink cable to go to my Denon amp. I'm back on analog 5.1 inputs because the X-Fi won't pass normal 5.1 down an optical cable- JUST DTS and Dolby, which I don't want. GHEY on Creative's part.

If the card supports DDL or DTS connect, it can encode 5.1 sound to fit down a SPDIF/Optical link.

If it doesnt support those 2 standards, you will only get pre-encoded 5.1 (ie DVD / Blu Ray) down those digital links.
All other sound will be stereo.
 
It isn't "GHEY" on Creative's part. Optical/coaxial will only pass 2 channel PCM, DD, and DTS. It isn't a soundcard issue.

There ARE a few high-end cards that CAN and DO pass standard 5.1 down toslink. Creative chose not to do it, hence the GHEYness.
 
There ARE a few high-end cards that CAN and DO pass standard 5.1 down toslink. Creative chose not to do it, hence the GHEYness.

Incorrect, it comes free with the Creative X-Fi Titanium and it will cost you $4.72 if you have any of these Creative cards:
http://buy.soundblaster.com/_creati...are&category=Software&pid=F2222DDN6Z2H2ADDEZD

* Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
* Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
* Sound Blaster X-Fi
* Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
* Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
* Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
* Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty® Pro
* Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

The problem isnt at Creatives end ;)
 
You're missing the point. I HAVE a Titanium card and HAVE the DTS and Dolby. That's what I and many others DON'T want. All I want is a un-encoded 5.1 signal passed over Toslink without the DTS or Dolby BS. No can do.

nvm, not a showstopper, just sucks as I DID notice the difference in digital...
 
There ARE a few high-end cards that CAN and DO pass standard 5.1 down toslink. Creative chose not to do it, hence the GHEYness.
If you're talking about S/PDIF, any such configuration is totally and entirely non-standard. You can do practically whatever you want over an optical connection (so long as it doesn't exceed the maximum sustainable bandwidth), but unless it's S/PDIF, you're ending up with a useless, meaningless stream of data no other consumer devices can discern. You can use multiple two-channel S/PDIF streams, but you can't do it down one cable.

It's pretty laughable that you believe digital optical and S/PDIF are absolutely analogous. That's actually really, really funny.
 
You're missing the point. I HAVE a Titanium card and HAVE the DTS and Dolby. That's what I and many others DON'T want. All I want is a un-encoded 5.1 signal passed over Toslink without the DTS or Dolby BS. No can do.

nvm, not a showstopper, just sucks as I DID notice the difference in digital...

TOSLink doesnt have the bandwidth to support uncompressed 5.1.
It is nothing to do with Creative.
You need another tree to bark up.

Have you thought about getting a better amp/DAC?
 
Well, it sounds like I and a few others (there's lots of forum threads discussing this exact topic with the X-Fi Ti cards) have been horribly misinformed, so thanks for the correction. To be honest, all I wanted was a digital connection to clean up the analog sound and to get rid of the triple cable mess there is with analog 5.1. When using the Dolby and DTS modes on the SPDIF out, you lose a ton of configuration flexibilty within the X-Fi console... per channel volume settings, subwoofer control etc.. all gone. What's the point? I'd rather be able to control it there vs. dickin' with the manual amp and sub controls. Or, am I high again?
 
When using the Dolby and DTS modes on the SPDIF out, you lose a ton of configuration flexibilty within the X-Fi console... per channel volume settings, subwoofer control etc.. all gone. What's the point? I'd rather be able to control it there vs. dickin' with the manual amp and sub controls. Or, am I high again?

Yes that is an unfortunate side effect of using Digital sound out.
You can no longer use the main volume control in Windows, nor the specific configurations as everything is offloaded to the amplifiers digital configuration.

I have the same issue when using Digital to my amp.
But if I use analogue, all my speakers settings in the amp are ignored
As the DAC in my amp is pretty good and the amp gives a heck of a lot better control options, I've settled on using digital for now.
 
Back
Top