opterons and memory dividers = don't get along?

Bo_Bice

Gawd
i've read on dfi-street forums that opterons and memory dividers don't get along(heard from one guy). is this true? i just bought an nf4 ultra-d and opteron 165. and its gskill pc-4000 ram ill be using. but i was hoping to use memory dividers because my ram probably won't reach 280+

well as you said your ram wont reach 280 and most people with otperons use a divider and theyre runnign fine so you shouldnt have a problem..

You can get randomness with dividers. I have a weird problem; here's what happens for me:

2850mhz, HTT 285, 2/3 driver = 193mhz ram: Prime95 stable for 6+ hours but HL2 crashes in less than 5 mins.

2850mhz, HTT 285, 6/5 driver = 238mhz ram: Prime95 and HL2 dead stable.

So you see, with the 2nd setting, even though the ram is running much faster, is completely stable whereas the first setting (that actually has the ram underclocked from stock) is unstable in HL2 (and infact, all 3D games I test with).

This is the quirk of memory dividers. Some dividers just don't work well for some people. You won't know what works until you try it for yourself.

I'm in an unusual situation, though, in that I have all 4 ram slots filled with 512mb sticks. I'd probably have no problems if I had 2 x 1 gig sticks.

(see my sig for full system details).

true just find the best for your computer...but it shouldnt be a problem

my opty seems to love the 266 divider--got it clocked to 2.8g for an everyday computer .
some MB's have divisors in the bios that don't work . as long as you stick with the working divisors i don't see a problem. :cool:

Back