opteron workstation help

schnell

Gawd
I am configuring opteron drafting workstation for a client and I just want to make sure everything that I have picked is going to play nice.

Opteron 170 dual core
EpoX ep-9npa3 ultra (is there a better non sli board for this application?)
4 gig OCZ Plat.(4 1 gig sticks)
PNY Quadro FX3450
Antec TurePower 480 watt PS
80 gig SATA HDD

I can not find a 939 motherboard offically supports the Opteron, so I just want to make sure that the dual core will run on this motherboard and play well with the memory.

Any sugestions are much appriciated.

80GB IDE hard drives are slow (unless you get a Raptor).
The data density on larger hard drives allows a much higher data transfer rate.
This will make the PC seem much snappier at boot, loading etc etc.

Get a SATA/SATA II 200GB or larger hard drive, the small cost increase is well worth it.

thanks for the help guys, be the client wants nothing lager than an 80gb hss :rolleyes:

everything is stored on their server, but i do understand what you are saying and i explained that to him, but got shot down.

try telling him that the OS uses the local hard drive as a temporary memory when main memory gets full or when Apps go idle. A faster hard drive will make app switching and loading faster. Plus it'll be a safety net in case the server is unavailable.

What OS is the customer using? Any version of windows besides XP64 or Server 2k3 64 isn't going to use all that RAM.

Actually 4gig is the boundary for 32bit OS's, It typically splits it 3gigs for apps, and 1 gig for kernel (right?) So it COULD possibly use the 4gigs. However there might be some missing depending on the hardware configuration. Win32 will map some of the memory addresses to hardware and you'll lose whatever RAM is at that location.

ryan_975 said:
Win32 will map some of the memory addresses to hardware and you'll lose whatever RAM is at that location.

That's what I mean, it will use some of that memory address space so it will show a weird, partial amount of ram. But obviously the customer isn't very tech savy, so s/he is going to see Windows claiming s/he has 3.2gb of ram (or whatever) and want to know why, when they paid for 4gb.

better for what? memrory mapping? that's a 32bit thing not a hardware thing. Now if you mean a better motherboard overall? then I don't know.

RYan

Back