opteron questions

wahoyaho

Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
514
1. what are batch numbers? why is the op in that cabne unit thread asking for them?

2. what are steppings and what's the difference between cabne, cabye, and cabge?

3. everyone's trying to get a hold of these opteron cpus, the ones that overclock well is it only for socket 940s or 939s too?
 
1. just to see if the batch number coorelates with an oc. probably doesn't though. this 146 is #0001:
1_69.jpg


2. steppings are slight tweaks at the transistor level, i suspect more or less "slow" transistors to change typical clocks obtainable and heat output. as a general rule of thumb, CABNE > CABYE > CABGE

3. the opterons in question ARE s939:

144box.JPG


the 146 shown above is currently priming in my rig at 2.9ghz with 1.4v on water cooling. not bad for a $220 cpu eh?
 
that looks mighty sexy, th anks for clearing it up eclipse :D

so since this is a s939 you wouldn't need the registered ecc ram
 
correct. (im assuming that that was missing a question mark or something?)
 
soo, opterons on s939 dun need ecc registered ram??

omg thats ownage, im gonna get one!

edit: could ya also tell me about the heat it gives off, issit alot? very little? comparing it to a AMD64 venice core would be helpful, and wat cooler u use to cool the opterown?
 
these opterowns are hot. hotter than their counterparts mane

note for future use, opterOWN = s939, opteron = s940
 
el rolio said:
these opterowns are hot. hotter than their counterparts mane

note for future use, opterOWN = s939, opteron = s940

LOL opterOWN, opterOWN ownesS the OpteroN. :) but yeah THEY ruNnnN REALLLlyy HOtttttt, Burning HOT? ;)
 
ah so if you plan to take advantage of their amazing overclocking abilities, you'd need to also buy a good cooling system?
 
im might be getting the s939 opteron 148, but unsure about cooling, so i ask some questions

how hot do they get on stock cooling at stock speeds? idle and load?

and on stock cooling oc'ed(any OC'ed speed)? idle and load?

edit: wat cooling do you opteron users use for your opteron? lol
 
hero123 said:
how hot do they get on stock cooling at stock speeds? idle and load?
i would advise you don't use stock cooling. my 144 hit 62c at 2.7ghz and 1.55v.. idle was in the mid 40's. contact was good too, as the heatsink was definitly kinda burning hot ;)
 
im not going to use stock hsf, im going to use big typhoon and delta fan, was just wandering if these opterons are like hot thats all, wat cooling u use eclipse?
 
Mine does not run all that hot 32c no load and about 40c load so they are not that bad if you run a good heat sink, but i dont have alot of volts going to mine, im Gaming on it at 2650 Mhz i will test it more in the next week or so I just got mine yesterday. But so far Killer CPU for the price.
 
water. a big typhoon should work though.. but you asked how they do with stock cooling. i had to give an answer for that ;)
though, a lot of people are reporting significant gains with removing the IHS. i'm tempted to, but i've gotta get myself a capable knife first
 
thx for the help, but i like to run my cpu under 50 degrees C under load, so how much oc do you think i'll get outta the tyhpoon and delta?

o yeh, and which stepping is the better ocing one, issit the CABNE?
 
integera1 said:
LOL opterOWN, opterOWN ownesS the OpteroN. :) but yeah THEY ruNnnN REALLLlyy HOtttttt, Burning HOT? ;)


No...your "OpterOWN" does not "own" and "OpeterON".

That's like saying that a Pentium 4 owns a Xeon. They're a completely seperate class of processor. Yes, they're of the same family...but have seperate target demographics.

Personally, as a 2xx user, I don't see the real point of a 1xx part in 939 use. 940 I can understand due to single CPU rack servers...but if they're moving it to 939, I don't see the point.

It lacks dual processor capability.
It lacks ECC RAM (which I happily agree is a good thing)


But, those two items make an Opteron an Opteron. Your OpterOWNs are just rebadged Athlon 64s, near as I can tell.





(that being said....I look forward to getting one for a gaming system, and have my dual OpterON being the uber-server...if I can ever justify the cost of doing so, that is.)
 
btw, theres a typo in your sig i think, last time i knew, there wasnt such brand called seadate =]
 
hero123 said:
btw, theres a typo in your sig i think, last time i knew, there wasnt such brand called seadate =]


Sure there is.

Hot...
Sexy...
Mermaid-ish Scaly booty!
And man do those gills help!

allnighte.gif

(Thanks for the heads up!)




Now, back on topic...does anyone have a list of boards that support this CPU natively? If I were to get one, I'd rather not have to get (or borrow) another 939 CPU just to flash a BIOS.
 
Marduk said:
No...your "OpterOWN" does not "own" and "OpeterON".

That's like saying that a Pentium 4 owns a Xeon. They're a completely seperate class of processor. Yes, they're of the same family...but have seperate target demographics.

Personally, as a 2xx user, I don't see the real point of a 1xx part in 939 use. 940 I can understand due to single CPU rack servers...but if they're moving it to 939, I don't see the point.

It lacks dual processor capability.
It lacks ECC RAM (which I happily agree is a good thing)


But, those two items make an Opteron an Opteron. Your OpterOWNs are just rebadged Athlon 64s, near as I can tell.





(that being said....I look forward to getting one for a gaming system, and have my dual OpterON being the uber-server...if I can ever justify the cost of doing so, that is.)

I simply decided to upgrade my processors and use my Tyan K8WE based system for games. The Opteron 246's and the rest of the tech tour bundle are back where they belong doing my server work.
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
I simply decided to upgrade my processors and use my Tyan K8WE based system for games. The Opteron 246's and the rest of the tech tour bundle are back where they belong doing my server work.


That's what I want to do as well....but...for the $2k I'd spend on upgrading the CPUs...I could go out, buy an Opteron, mobo, Praetorian, etc...OC it, and keep my 246's as a server.

Or...better yet, take my friend up on his unused server offer, grab another bundle, and rack it w/ my RAID array.

I could then sell off my K8WE, and rebuild my gaming system in the Lian Li. But...either option is blatantly wasteful.

But...I don't need that powerful of a server. I'm looking at an Athlon XP (any speed, really) w/ 512mb RAM. that's enough for all but my VMWare uses...


Odds are pretty good I'll stick with what I have now until I can't do 1600x1200, give my K8WE a couple 254s like you did, and be set again until I'm ready to migrate sockets and RAM types. Really, that's the main thing holding me back right now. I don't want to go out and buy a new gaming system with such a fundamental change coming so soon.
 
el rolio said:
these opterowns are hot. hotter than their counterparts mane

note for future use, opterOWN = s939, opteron = s940

Yep. I'm running water and these suckers run 4-5 degrees hotter than Venice or X2's. I'm guessing that even with good air cooling, they'll get close to 60 degrees on full load. I too would STRONGLY recommend not using the stock heatsink. Get something with at least a 92mm fan for these things, especially if you're planning to overclock.
 
Marduk said:
That's what I want to do as well....but...for the $2k I'd spend on upgrading the CPUs...I could go out, buy an Opteron, mobo, Praetorian, etc...OC it, and keep my 246's as a server.

Or...better yet, take my friend up on his unused server offer, grab another bundle, and rack it w/ my RAID array.

I could then sell off my K8WE, and rebuild my gaming system in the Lian Li. But...either option is blatantly wasteful.

But...I don't need that powerful of a server. I'm looking at an Athlon XP (any speed, really) w/ 512mb RAM. that's enough for all but my VMWare uses...


Odds are pretty good I'll stick with what I have now until I can't do 1600x1200, give my K8WE a couple 254s like you did, and be set again until I'm ready to migrate sockets and RAM types. Really, that's the main thing holding me back right now. I don't want to go out and buy a new gaming system with such a fundamental change coming so soon.

I bought my Opteron 254's for $1149.00 for the pair. So it was an alright option for me. The way I thought of it was compared to Athlon FX-57's and it seemed like a good deal so I jumped on it. Couldn't be happier.
 
Marduk said:
where?

if I can get that kind of price, I'll buy right now.

I got them off Ebay actually. They were new OEM CPU's and obviously never used. They were a perfectly matched pair. BTW in games the difference between those and the 246's was HUGE. I definately feel like I am getting more performance out of my 7800GTX SLi setup also. Since I am not as badly CPU limited.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
actually, the CABNE 1xx's are rebadged FX's:
http://hw001.gate01.com/ryusei/highfsb.htm



unless those Opterons are unlocked, it's just an A64.


And even then...an Athlon FX is just an Athlon 64 w/ more cache(sometimes) and unlocked multipliers. There's nothing fundamentally different other than that, whereas the Opterons add in SMP capability (for the 2xx series), and a requirement for registered RAM. That's a bigger change, at least to me. That's why the 939s don't make much sense to me. They're labeled Opteron, but don't have the characteristics of an Opteron. They have the characteristics of an Athlon 64/FX
 
Marduk said:
unless those Opterons are unlocked, it's just an A64.


And even then...an Athlon FX is just an Athlon 64 w/ more cache and unlocked multipliers. There's nothing fundamentally different other than that, whereas the Opterons add in SMP capability (for the 2xx series), and a requirement for registered RAM. That's a bigger change, at least to me. That's why the 939s don't make much sense to me. They're labeled Opteron, but don't have the characteristics of an Opteron. They have the characteristics of an Athlon 64/FX

I said the same exact thing in the OpterOWN thread.

On another note, alot of A64's have 1MB of cache now like the FX series. So the only thing the FX series has going for it is 200MHz and an unlocked multiplier.
 
Well, we shouldn't kid ourselves. These are not the server chips that we know fom the 940 platform. The memory controller is not the same, the memory requirements are not the same and (for the 1xx series), the multi CPU ability is not the same.

These are indeed nothing but well manufactured A64/FX Socket 939 chips that overclock very high on stock voltage. Nothing more nothing less.

The attraction simply is the price/performance ratio, which is higher than on any other S939 chip as of now.

Whoever buy these as server chips, doesn't really know much about the platform or doesn't care much about the advantages of a real server chip (set).
 
ScYcS said:
Well, we shouldn't kid ourselves. These are not the server chips that we know fom the 940 platform. The memory controller is not the same, the memory requirements are not the same and (for the 1xx series), the multi CPU ability is not the same.

These are indeed nothing but well manufactured A64/FX Socket 939 chips that overclock very high on stock voltage. Nothing more nothing less.

The attraction simply is the price/performance ratio, which is higher than on any other S939 chip as of now.

Whoever buy these as server chips, doesn't really know much about the platform or doesn't care much about the advantages of a real server chip (set).

I understand why the enthusiast and end users would buy them, I don't understand why AMD labled them as Opterons at all.
 
So, whats the EXACT difference between the A64 and the FX line? And the FX and the Opty 1xx 939 line? Why is the FX series dedicated towards gaming and A64 mainstream (according to AMD)? What makes a 800+ processor line so damn special? I know the unlocked multiplier and the 1MB of cache (which 3700 and 4000 have now, along w/ optys), but whats so special about them? I mean AMD wouldnt sell a processor for 4x the amount of a regular processor saying its dedicated towards gamers when the regular processor and that are the same thing.
 
yea and as we are all finding out, we are NOT getting enhanced mem controllers as we hoped we would coming fro the opteron name.

but we get those other benefits. and we buy em for our single cpu machines.

actually having a 2 way opty system in life would be crazy for me. consumer all the way!

oh and we get the good IHS's too :p
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
I understand why the enthusiast and end users would buy them, I don't understand why AMD labled them as Opterons at all.
me neither, but honestly? i really don't give a damn. the fact is that it exists, and i have one that'll do 2.9ghz with stock voltage. that's enough for me, any more is simply getting into semantics ;)

marduk, the FX's aren't the only chips that have 1mb of cache. it is true that they have unloocked multi's, but that is somewhat useless, unless you have one of those rare boards that can't go over ~250mhz (for the fx-55, 250x13 = 3250mhz, more than enough for most things ;))
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
I understand why the enthusiast and end users would buy them, I don't understand why AMD labled them as Opterons at all.


Probably to attract a broader base of customers. Companys looking for a new server will see "server" chips at a really low price and might jump the gun. AMD still lacks in server sales.
 
DangerIsGo said:
So, whats the EXACT difference between the A64 and the FX line? And the FX and the Opty 1xx 939 line? Why is the FX series dedicated towards gaming and A64 mainstream (according to AMD)? What makes a 800+ processor line so damn special? I know the unlocked multiplier and the 1MB of cache (which 3700 and 4000 have now, along w/ optys), but whats so special about them? I mean AMD wouldnt sell a processor for 4x the amount of a regular processor saying its dedicated towards gamers when the regular processor and that are the same thing.

The only difference between the A64's with 1MB L2 and the FX series is the unlocked multiplier.

The Opteron 1xx S939 chips are the same as A64/FX series chips, with locked multi's.

And yes, a company will sell you a product under another name, with an identical feature set for a difference price if it covers more than one market segment they see an opportunity in for increased profits.
 
also, the 90nm fx's can usually break 3ghz with good air or water, while very few a64's can ;)
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
also, the 90nm fx's can usually break 3ghz with good air or water, while very few a64's can ;)



While I'm not arguing...that's not a standard feature of the CPU. It's nothing that makes it architecturally unique.
 
Marduk said:
While I'm not arguing...that's not a standard feature of the CPU. It's nothing that makes it architecturally unique.
same goes for the s940 opterons. there's just one or two more ht links, akin to comparing s754 to s939 ;)
 
FX cores are the best cores of the batch, they have unlocked multipliers and are the cream of the performance crop. For single core, uni-processor machines. No doubts there, but they aren't worth $1000 each. Not when another A64 can be run at 2.6GHz or 2.8GHz just as easily, with a little OC'ing.

Plus, even if you don't OC, the FX-55 or 4000+ is close enough for to the performance of the FX-57. The video card matters more in gaming performance than the CPU does. I doubt that if your running a 7800GTX SLi setup, that you could tell the difference between an A64 4000+, FX-55 or FX-57. Only benchmarks would likely show much if any real difference.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
i would advise you don't use stock cooling. my 144 hit 62c at 2.7ghz and 1.55v.. idle was in the mid 40's. contact was good too, as the heatsink was definitly kinda burning hot ;)


if i oc a 3200+ to say 2.4-2.6 how much temp would that give off? compared to the opty 144.


and if both at stock, would there be any noticible speed difference between the two?
 
Back
Top