Opteron G34 Motherboards

MotionBlur

[H]ard|Gawd
Anybody have one yet? After my Thuban discussion, I was thinking of getting 2 of the 8x2ghz Opterons, load it up with 32gb of ram and hoping for OpenCL support in Adobe CS5.

Yeah the only G34 board on NewEgg is a pre-order for the Tyan. Meanwhile the CPUs are available on NewEgg. Any idea on cooling the new 6xxx series cpus?

It looks like you can run 4gb DDR3 1333 unregistered non-ecc memory in the Asus at least. At $280 roughly for 2x4gb Kingston sticks, that's not too bad at least initially:

Asus KGPE-D16
1xOpteron 6138 + some sort of cooling (Maybe an H50?)
4x4gb Kingston DDR3 1333 Sticks

All for ~$1000, wait a bit for prices to come down and then add 16gb more ram and another Opteron.

I am really liking the look of this ASUS board! Though at the moment it would be nice to have any G34 board in stock somewhere. Hopefully I can find a way to make system similar to the OP's wish!

For a full system I think you would get more CPU/dollar with the 6168 if you can scale across all of those cores. I'm looking at this for Distributed Computing, but everyone screams Intel all day over there. Are all Opteron boards capable of running with an empty socket or do you have to put a CPU in every socket on some of them?

For a full system I think you would get more CPU/dollar with the 6168 if you can scale across all of those cores. I'm looking at this for Distributed Computing, but everyone screams Intel all day over there. Are all Opteron boards capable of running with an empty socket or do you have to put a CPU in every socket on some of them?

Every Dual Socket F motherboard I've had allowed only 1 to be used.

I am really liking the look of this ASUS board! Though at the moment it would be nice to have any G34 board in stock somewhere. Hopefully I can find a way to make system similar to the OP's wish!

If using this for Mission Critical I would spend my $$ (and will) with Supermicro or Tyan. Asus has a bit of a reputation for not providing long term support (BIOS refreshes etc...).

If using this for Mission Critical I would spend my $$ (and will) with Supermicro or Tyan. Asus has a bit of a reputation for not providing long term support (BIOS refreshes etc...).

Hmm that is unfortunate. Thanks for the info man!

directron.com has a single slot one

http://directron.com/h8sglf.html

what is the performance like on these things, i know it is 8 cores, but at only 2Ghz how does it compare?

The way I looked at it was from a physical core's thread vs ipc. For a pretty beefy/high usage SQL Server, I can't imagine having 16 cores available to me vs the 2x2210 Opterons I have now at work. For games and video work though, having a higher IPC like that of a Thuban at 4ghz would be better. I thought long and hard on the decision for my HD video work and after having a Dual Quad Core Opteron last year, the Thuban was not only cheaper but more suited towards my needs.

At my main job, I am having my boss upgrade our main SQL Server 2008 box to a Magny-Core at some point this year.

Back