• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Opteron Choice

Paragon09

n00b
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
20
Ive been looking at the opterons never really researched into them before. Im a competitive Bf2 player so im not sure if i really need the dual core since most games arent even utilizing it yet. Im just looking for a general suggestions on what to get im basically debating on either a Single core Opty 144 or the Dual core 165 Of course ill be doing overclocking and 144 is just amazing from what ive been reading. any other suggestions would be great. thx

My computer specs atm:

Asus A8n32 SLI - Deluxe
2 gigs of ram
550wt PSU
2x BFG 7800 GT OC
 
The steppings on either shipping from monarch are pimp, Id go 165 but thats just me.
 
Two years ago when I built the system I am using now, everyone said 64 bit gaming was months away and would be kicking ass. I'm not saying 64's are bad or anything, I just might have been better off buying a faster Athlon XP instead of my 3000+, or at least would have saved money.
 
CompGeek said:
Athlon 64's are way faster in 32-bit, who cares?

In a best case scenario...remember, a cpu is as only good as the software it utilizes...
 
Blakestr said:
In a best case scenario...remember, a cpu is as only good as the software it utilizes...
Dude, you dont know what you're talkign about, look at some benchmarks.

IF you'd be so happy with an Athlon XP then get one.
 
Blakestr said:
I'm not saying 64's are bad or anything, I just might have been better off buying a faster Athlon XP instead of my 3000+, or at least would have saved money.

That makes no sense at all
 
Shameless Liar said:
2 cores are better than one.

Not true if you are one of those people who hang on every FPS they can eek out of their processor. I have the 180 opty (2.4ghz DC, overclocked to mildly to 2.6 ghz) and with the same vid card and same amount of memory my 571 P4 (3.8ghz) bests it easily on 3dmark05. But the opty rig does better with PCMark05 benches

It all depends on what you want, If you need every FPS you can get because all you do is game then go for single core, multitaskers would benefit more from the dual core setups.
 
my 571 P4 (3.8ghz) bests it easily on 3dmark05. But the opty rig does better with PCMark05 benches
First of all those are synthetic benchmarks, secondly it's extremely difficult to prove wether or not 2 cores are better than one if you are comparing a DC Opteron to a P4.

In your case, you should compare your Opteron @ 2.4GHz to a 3700+.
 
When I went from a 144 @ 2.8 to a 165 @ 2.7 I got 5-10 fps boost in COD2... nv drivers rock.
 
PCBliss said:
That makes no sense at all

I haven't looked into the details but it seems to me that an amd 64 proc versus a similiar ghz athlon, in a 32 bit application, will not have a staggering difference in performance. But I could be wrong.
 
Blakestr said:
I haven't looked into the details but it seems to me that an amd 64 proc versus a similiar ghz athlon, in a 32 bit application, will not have a staggering difference in performance. But I could be wrong.
More than wrong, like 120% wrong.
 
CompGeek said:
The steppings on either shipping from monarch are pimp, Id go 165 but thats just me.
What do you mean they're pimp? I just received one of the supposedly "bad" steppings. Maybe you got a good one, doesn't mean everyone else will. Plus, steppings don't really have any meaning; it's just the probability of getting a good/bad overclocker is higher or lower within that batch.
 
that's because CompGeek wants your cast offs....geez....

you need to buy from places like Flickerdown (self plug) or TankGuys who provide advanced stepping notice.

dave
 
Blakestr said:
Can you briefly explain the main differences for me so I understand?
It would take too long to explain everything, ever heard of google?
 
Blakestr said:
Can you briefly explain the main differences for me so I understand?
each clock cycle the 64 crunches 64bits of info not 32.
thats right. right?
 
I also would like to be learned. I googled and didn't see that much of a difference between them.
 
Well, to start with the Athlon 64 has the memory controller on die, this is HUGE, thats why they can keep up with P4's that are clocked well over 1ghz higher.
 
CompGeek said:
Well, to start with the Athlon 64 has the memory controller on die, this is HUGE, thats why they can keep up with P4's that are clocked well over 1ghz higher.

The ignorance! It is gone! Thank you kind sir! :D

Seriously i always wondered
 
Blakestr said:
The ignorance! It is gone! Thank you kind sir! :D

Seriously i always wondered
Thats not all, but thats the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.
 
buy an opteron 144 for $140 and oc it to 3.0 no matter what stepping.... 1.7vcore on water any of them will hit 3.0 (well most :D ) and when it dies a year and a half later buy an opteron 170 dual core for $140 and OC it to 3.0 at 1.7v and keep going :)

well thats what I am going to do.... getting my water cooling gear in the next week and a half.... then i'll post results
 
Back
Top