Opteron 170 Running Hot

evenfall928

Limp Gawd
Hey, I got an Opty 170 a while back, and it's been running strangely hot. My bf and I ordered ours together, and while his idles at around 32C and loads at around 40C or so, mine idles at 40C and will hit the low 50s on load. Granted, he's using the SI-120 heatsink and I've got the XP-90 on...

I also thought it may have been because I'm currently in a midtower and all. However, my old 4000+ San Diego also used to idle at around 30-some and hit loads at around 40C too. Same heatsink, same case and fans and whatnot.

I've tried reseating the heatsink a couple times, but it doesn't seem to be helping any.

So to sum it all up, I've got an Opteron 170 running on a DFI sli-d mobo, XP-90 heatsink applied with AS5 and it's getting temps of 40C (idle)/ 50C (load).

Any suggestions on why this is happening / how to drop these temps?

Help is much appreciated. Thankies. ^^

Those temps are not too ridiculous, Does your case have sufficient intake/exhaust fans? Also try reapplying thermal compound by first cleaning it off with isopropyl alcohol, then rubbing compound into the microgrooves on the proc, and then applying the normal amount, which I think is just a bead or so for the optys.

Currently I have 3 intakes and 2 exhausts. For intake I have a 120mm and 80mm in the front along with a 80mm on the side. Exhausts are a 120mm in the back and a 92mm (I think) sitting on the bottom of the case blowing out the side.

But I'll test out reapplying the thermal compound that way when I get home and see if that helps any. =)

Your temps are normal, 40C load on an Opteron 170 isn't, regardless of the type
of air cooling. Those temps are suspect.

Back