Opteron 165 LCB9E stepping?

arcturus

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently some 165 Opteron buyers report LCB9E steppings. I thought this was for X2's, not Opterons. Does Denmark = Toledo? No diff in 'strain of silicon' used that's been frequently posted as differentiating the 2?

Hmm, people are getting this stepping and report 'Opteron' labeled on the box.

Its really not new that the 939 Opterons are just re badged X2 and Opterons Re badged X2 the opterons might go threw a better binning process but they are really no different. My CCBBE Opty 170 is reported to have a Toledo core by CPUZ and core temp.

My understanding is there's quite a bit of difference to the overclocker. With few exceptions the Opterons have shown to be superior.

Im guessing that comes from the better binning. Also remember the FX-60 is based off of the toledo core and when you get an Opty 165/170 you are starting out at a lower clock speed(1.8/2.0). The Opty 165s and the 170 in the begining were a lot cheaper and that made them the value for the Overclocker because they were almost guaranteed to hit FX-60 speeds (Because as we know now that they are based on the same core.). With the same 1 meg cache that the lower end chips lacked and would clock to the same Frequency's of the high priced chips.

If you look all K8 based Amd chips max out at about the same point 2.8-3.0 is about as high as they go there are few exceptions on extreme cooling but practical everyday overclock is 2.8-3.0

Actually the overclock ceiling of X2's are generally lower than Opteron because they need higher voltage. Still though, something still doesn't seem right ... if opteron is a rebadged X2 then some X2's should have Denmark cores and and CCBBE steppings for instance.

Actually the overclock ceiling of X2's are generally lower than Opteron because they need higher voltage. Still though, something still doesn't seem right ... if opteron is a rebadged X2 then some X2's should have Denmark cores and and CCBBE steppings for instance.

the opty 165 and x2 toledos have shared steppings for a while now. it used to be the CCBWE code. then the famous CCBBE. it's not too crazy to think that the comparable x2s and optys are the same guts.

zv

ive heard of 2 people getting that same stepping and they were getting 2.7 overclocks

the opty 165 and x2 toledos have shared steppings for a while now. it used to be the CCBWE code. then the famous CCBBE. it's not too crazy to think that the comparable x2s and optys are the same guts.

hmmn, that's interesting. Have never heard of an X2 with CCBBE steppings!

Could someone with that cpu please step forward? :)

I got that LCB9E on a relatively new FX-60.

Can't OC it right now, since not here with me.

But from what people write about these steppings,
they ain't that good... but they are the new ones...

What I think is AMD is re-badging unsold X2 toledos
as Opty and FX-60... Other wise, being cheapo...

Hopefully my FX-60 won't hit the wall @ 2.7 when I
get to play around with it... or that would be the most
sadiest thing ever... and I would probably never again
use AMD lmao... the disappointments... the disappointments...

That's my suspicion too, especially since this seems to be a recent thing.

So much for 'server quality' through better binning and silicon, plus overclock headroom appeal.

The great Opteron skt 939 is setting into the sunset.

that can't be true. before during and after the EOL call, the X2s were more money than the opterons by almost $2:1 '

My X2 was $300 on newegg when the 165s were ~$160

hmmn, that's interesting. Have never heard of an X2 with CCBBE steppings!

Could someone with that cpu please step forward? :)

oops. :eek:

good call.

only the CCBWE, but still, a lot of them. :)

X2.png

and

opteron.png

:p

you said you suspect AMD is rebadging x2s as opterons.

I'm saying why wouldn't they sell them as X2's, if they were in very high demand (check) and grossed almost twice the dollars (check)?

i said "that can't be true"

get it?

zv

who said AMD makes logical sense when it comes to pricing at times, lol

edit:

Seriously, it's obvious that opteron is the primary choice for those in the know.
AMD can't give away X2 so they rebadge as Opteron, the hot ticket. They sell
Opteron for less than X2 (not much diff these days) but still come ahead because
it's better than no sale at all.

understood?

who said AMD makes logical sense when it comes to pricing at times, lol

edit:

Seriously, it's obvious that opteron is the primary choice for those in the know.
AMD can't give away X2 so they rebadge as Opteron, the hot ticket. They sell
Opteron for less than X2 (not much diff these days) but still come ahead because
it's better than no sale at all.

understood?

no. it's not understood because you're wrong about the X2s. people were paying $499 from retail sellers 30 days ago for the X2s. Newegg restocked the 4800's after a long drought in Nov, and they sold out IN ONE DAY. it was a feeding frenzy. the X2s were VERY sought after.

AMD isn't rebadging toledo X2s as opterons, because the X2s were going like hotcakes (faster than opterons) and grossed almost twice the $$.

don't know any other ways to state it. it's not a complicated concept.

zv

Yeah sure, newegg sold out all 3 of the 4800's they got alright.

Opty is where it's at and supply is getting limited. Certain X2's will be around far longer. Simple.

Time to move along.

I purchased a 165 few weeks ago, but then core 1 started failing at stock volts/speeds. Returned via RMA to Newegg, and awaited the RMA'd chip.

It arrived today:

Opteron 165 Retail Box 90nm, 2x1MB, S939
OSA165DAA6CD
LCB9E 0646 RPMW
Y974646K60461

The SOB ran all the way up to 296FSB @stock volts before taking a dump. I boosted vcore by +100mV, went to 300FSB. Added +200mV (total), and went to 302FSB before crapping out. Want to know the really cool part? Under 100% load on both cores, even overvolted..it only gets to 102F! Idle is at 96.5F. At stock volts right now, running 290x9=2610, RAM sitting at 187, HTT at 870 (may go up 1 more noth on this). Tested dual Prime95 stable while running CPU-Z, and Systool also crunching dual threaded stability test, and calculating Super-Pi at 1M positions, over and over. Ran it like this for 1/2hour, and then jumped into 3dMark06, and ran a loop for a bit. Just surfing around now, all is good. I will try to kill it overnight tonight, and figure to shoot for over 300FSB in week or so, after the AS5 cures, and some burnin is acheived. I plan to boost the volts in a few days, just to stress the silicon, to see if it opens up anymore. The CCBBE did 2700 (300x9) right away, but took max volts to be stable. CCBBE went to 235 on stock, then 265 on +100mV, then 300 on +200mV. And no, my over volt didn't kill it, check my sig for system specs. CPU temp never went over 115F. This thing is just blowing me away, 295 stable on both cores, at stock volts...? That beats the CCBBE hands down, from my experience.

maybe the LCB9E's will prove worthy?

as soon as i'm through fiddling with the Winchester 3000+, i'll start playing with my LCB9E

zv

at 100% orthos load my guess is anything over 2.7 will be difficult with that stepping

Remember, I said they are "rebadging" UNSOLD X2s.

And 939 X2s aren't selling like hot cakes...
Not since the launch of AM2 and C2D.

They are low in demand, thus low in manufactured numbers.

AMD is trying their best to phase out 939, and 939 cpu
demand has been exponentially decreasing.

Even their 4Q report states that they are doing worse
than expected, clearly due to the same or sometimes
even lower priced, outperforming C2Ds. They want
money, as most corporations do; and fast.

939 EOL, they just might be trying to sell all of them at a
lower price, rather than put em up on X2's high price range
and "hope" to sell all of them before demand is gone.

To AMD it wouldn't probably cost much different now
to produce a tray of X2s and Optys...

^
|
|

See above for reason. X2's don't clock as well as 'pure' Opteron.
Sure, there's always a few exceptions.

AMD sales have been great, it's margins which have hurt them. With C2D now on
the scene they can't charge as much any more.

bottom line, you're way off on X2 sales. retailers couldn't keep them on the shelves, and started jacking prices by 200% given the high demand and low supply.

if AMD needed to unload cores, they'd have sold them at X2 pricing.

this just in ...

AMD warned late Thursday that operating income for the quarter -- excluding business units and charges related to newly acquired graphics chipmaker ATI Technologies Inc. -- is expected to be "positive but substantially lower" than in the third quarter.

Sunnyvale-based AMD blamed the decline on "significantly" lower average selling prices in the quarter for microprocessors, which act as the core calculating engines in computers. Unit sales were up, but were offset by the falling prices, AMD said. The company did not provide details.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070112/amd_outlook.html?.v=7

Stock is currently down 11% ... TODAY.

So much for their supposed success selling X2's at higher unit prices.

this just in ...

Sunnyvale-based AMD blamed the decline on "significantly" lower average selling prices in the quarter for microprocessors, which act as the core calculating engines in computers. Unit sales were up, but were offset by the falling prices, AMD said. The company did not provide details.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070112/amd_outlook.html?.v=7

Stock is currently down 11% ... TODAY.

So much for their supposed success selling X2's at higher unit prices.

honestly, i think that confirms they aren't rebadging X2 cores as opterons.

unit sales were up, and retailers couldn't keep the X2s on the shelves. i think the X2s are all gone, and the opterons are all that's left. if they could swap the cores between X2 and opteron, they'd do X2 because it's a higher priced chip, and it would counter the trend of "unit sales were up, but were offest by falling prices."

if that were the planned business strategy, they wouldn't be missing targets, and this wouldn't be a surprise. if you were right, their projections would be on because they planned this dynamic rather than reporting in hindsight that they're suffering from it.

either way, "the company did not provide details, so we could sit here and bicker all day without ever knowing.

zv

See above for reason. X2's don't clock as well as 'pure' Opteron.
Sure, there's always a few exceptions.

don't clock as well? aren't the X2 folks getting 2.6-2.8 clocks? just because they didn't do it via a 1000mhz overclock doens't mean anything. the opterons are guaranteed at 1.8ghz. the X2s are guaranteed at 2.2 - 2.4.

less people than you think are overclockers. Opterons weren't selling anywhere near as they are now until the X2s ran out of stock.

toledo cores for X2s been discontinued
for quite some time, so I guess I proved
the X2->Opty hypothesis wrong :rolleyes:

It seems more likable that Opty->X2 or FX-60
theory is more correct...

Well, as long as my LCB9E stepping FX-60
goes up to 3.0ghz on air, I would be fine.

If not, let the conspiracy theories begin! :mad:

I purchased a 165 few weeks ago, but then core 1 started failing at stock volts/speeds. Returned via RMA to Newegg, and awaited the RMA'd chip.

It arrived today:

Opteron 165 Retail Box 90nm, 2x1MB, S939
OSA165DAA6CD
LCB9E 0646 RPMW
Y974646K60461

The SOB ran all the way up to 296FSB @stock volts before taking a dump. I boosted vcore by +100mV, went to 300FSB. Added +200mV (total), and went to 302FSB before crapping out. Want to know the really cool part? Under 100% load on both cores, even overvolted..it only gets to 102F! Idle is at 96.5F. At stock volts right now, running 290x9=2610, RAM sitting at 187, HTT at 870 (may go up 1 more noth on this). Tested dual Prime95 stable while running CPU-Z, and Systool also crunching dual threaded stability test, and calculating Super-Pi at 1M positions, over and over. Ran it like this for 1/2hour, and then jumped into 3dMark06, and ran a loop for a bit. Just surfing around now, all is good. I will try to kill it overnight tonight, and figure to shoot for over 300FSB in week or so, after the AS5 cures, and some burnin is acheived. I plan to boost the volts in a few days, just to stress the silicon, to see if it opens up anymore. The CCBBE did 2700 (300x9) right away, but took max volts to be stable. CCBBE went to 235 on stock, then 265 on +100mV, then 300 on +200mV. And no, my over volt didn't kill it, check my sig for system specs. CPU temp never went over 115F. This thing is just blowing me away, 295 stable on both cores, at stock volts...? That beats the CCBBE hands down, from my experience.

Wow thats odd.

My *Orginial* CCBBE (The first ever reported) went all the way up to 2750 at stock volts. Topped out at 2.98 on water. I'm not getting rid of that processor for anything.

Back