Opteron 146 vs. X2 3800+

evilmonkey

Limp Gawd
I am going to do a minor upgrade of cpu/motherboard and use mostly parts I already have. I was looking at two combo deals from Newegg, both for about $100. I do mostly general computing, internet/chat/download, some games but nothing released in the last 2 years. I also do occasionally encode and transcode video files into different formats but I don't think (not totally sure though) that the program(s) I use are multithreaded. So is there any reason to get one of these processors over the other one? I like the idea of dual core but Opertons have the word workhorse attached to them in my mind. Advice is welcomed, thanks.

em

get the x2 no duobt since you do a lot of browsing and other stuffs simultaneously so that would help quite a lot. 146 is kinda old, it was a good overclocker in its time but thats about it. Since youre not the overclocking type, and x3800 would make you very happy indeed

If I push the Opteron to say, 2.6 how would they compare then? Perhaps compared to the x2 3800 at 2.4?

IMHO your better off going dual core. if the price on the two set up's are going to be the same.

As for the opteron series being workhorses it would depend on who you ask. Some members have said the opteron series chips are better tested better silicon being they are made for server use,However. you also have members here who have run regular athlon chips just as hard without issue.

In the end I would say go the with dual core, As it's better to have it, and not need it then to need it, and not have it.

The 3800's from newegg have been overclocking like champs, reading the reviews and counting the one I picked up 2400 is a given. I am at 2500 prime stable with only 1.280v. I bet 3.0 is in range if I had something other than a Shuttle with stock cooling. As it is, I am temp limited. X2 is a damn good deal if you have some cooling to spare.

Someone I know ;) has an X2 3800+ OEM running 2615 stable on air (Big Typhoon) at stock voltage. 290x9, HTTx3

Back