Optane Question..

manylakes

n00b
For optane to work, do you have to have your operating system (HDD) drive as the main optane drive? Or can you use an M.2 drive for the OS and have a HD for game files which can take advantage of optane in another M.2 slot? If not will that ever be possible? Choose what drive to use optane on.

I assume you are talking about windows and Optane drives larger than 32GB.

There are many ways to use an Optane drive. My desired usage would be for zfs cache on Ryzen servers.

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about windows and Optane drives larger than 32GB.

There are many ways to use an Optane drive. My desired usage would be for zfs cache on Ryzen servers.

I was talking about using the Optane drive to speed up a secondary game library drive (HDD) as opposed to the operating system drive. I read somewhere that it can only be used to speed up the OS drive thats if its an HDD and nothing else. I want to use Optane to speed up supplemental HDD storage.

So I expect you are talking about windows on Intel computers using the Intel driver.

There is a workaround for that search for PrimoCache. Although this is a paid product.

With PrimoCache you can use an Optane to cache any drive on any motherboard (including AMD) as long as your board supports NVMe devices.

I was talking about using the Optane drive to speed up a secondary game library drive (HDD) as opposed to the operating system drive. I read somewhere that it can only be used to speed up the OS drive thats if its an HDD and nothing else. I want to use Optane to speed up supplemental HDD storage.

Looks like a recipe for disappointment to me. A cache drive is OK for speeding things up by storing often-accessed smaller files. The OS and most desktop/internet apps fit this profile. Pretty much the opposite of what a game is going to be doing.

A better solution would be to replace the game drive with a SATA SSD.

A better solution would be to replace the game drive with a SATA SSD.

Considering the current price of 1TB SSDs I also recommend this. I expect $100 will get you a 1TB SSD on Black Friday.

Back