Optane and I+

Intel can't give this Optane shit away, eh?

AND YET - it's the fastest thing out there in most of it's formats. Look at the benchmarks!!! If I were building a machine right now - I'd use it. The biggest negative is I'd probably prefer to buy a Ryzen processor or Threadripper processor and Optane has artificially been limited to Intel only.

A 6 or 8TB 7,200 RPM hard-drive and a $50 optane makes for a faster (and WAY cheaper) experience than the best flash based SSD out there.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8157/intel-optane-memory-32gb-2-nvme-ssd-review/index9.html

The biggest negative is I'd probably prefer to buy a Ryzen processor or Threadripper processor and Optane has artificially been limited to Intel only.

No wonder.. I get it now. Same ole Intel.

The biggest negative is I'd probably prefer to buy a Ryzen processor or Threadripper processor and Optane has artificially been limited to Intel only.
Using the smaller drives as a cache is limited to Intel.
But the larger drives can be used as a straight forward SSD by AMD as well, getting all the benefits for whatever is on the drive (ie OS, games ...) without being limited by cache size, but limited by the amount you can fit on the drive.
I dont believe it can be used as a cache on Intel at the same time as being an SSD.

Nenu is correct. I too once thought these drives wouldn't work on an AMD platform, but they will as a standard nvme drive. I don't think you'll be able to boot from it, but it will work as a data drive after the OS is up and running.

Nenu is correct. I too once thought these drives wouldn't work on an AMD platform, but they will as a standard nvme drive. I don't think you'll be able to boot from it, but it will work as a data drive after the OS is up and running.
It will work as any other SSD as long as the motherboard supports booting from M.2 or a PCIe drive.

It will work as any other SSD as long as the motherboard supports booting from M.2 or a PCIe drive.
Thanks for the clarification! Good to know. I have a Ryzen system and just bought a WD Black 1TB nvme drive. From what I'm seeing from the review on The SSDReview site, the drive is a notch below the 960 pro, at close to $150 cheaper. If Optane ever comes down in price I'd have no hesitations on switching to it as the primary boot/program drive.

AND YET - it's the fastest thing out there in most of it's formats. Look at the benchmarks!!! If I were building a machine right now - I'd use it. The biggest negative is I'd probably prefer to buy a Ryzen processor or Threadripper processor and Optane has artificially been limited to Intel only.

A 6 or 8TB 7,200 RPM hard-drive and a $50 optane makes for a faster (and WAY cheaper) experience than the best flash based SSD out there.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8157/intel-optane-memory-32gb-2-nvme-ssd-review/index9.html

FWIW other forms of caching don't give a damn about their fakeraid lock-in to specific chipsets. Remember its not just amd, they lock out Z170 and older too.

They are still ordinary nvme protocol drives and the low latency / high performance at low queue depths makes them amazing ZFS sync write boosters. I have a pair in my newest build which also happens to be a threadripper.

If I was a database nerd I would try to cram as many records as possible on the biggest bunch of drives you can afford. The juicy irony is the largest full-bandwidth optane system possible today would be built on a single-socket Epyc platform :)

For the price of the memory module, its almost worth trying. Whats the procedure, install after or before OS?

Install the OS to your HDD, and then install the Optane drivers. Please note that Optane will only work for your boot volume, it won't work for a non-boot volume.

Install the OS to your HDD, and then install the Optane drivers. Please note that Optane will only work for your boot volume, it won't work for a non-boot volume.

So it's not possible to use it on a secondary hard drive that is used for game installs? That sucks.

So it's not possible to use it on a secondary hard drive that is used for game installs? That sucks.

Yup. That's exactly what I tried to do >__> Ended up returning my Optane drive. Not a happy camper about that, but I should have done more research before buying.

Back