OPM Hack Linked to Chinese Intelligence

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
The data breach at the US Office of Personnel Management (OPM) that exposed millions of US government employees' sensitive information has been tied to China's Ministry of State Security, according to Reuters. This is based on the use of a rare attack tool called Sakula and is apparently used by very few Chinese hacking teams.

While the Chinese People's Liberation Army typically goes after defense and trade secrets, this hacking group has repeatedly accessed data that could be useful to Chinese counter-intelligence and internal stability, said two people close to the U.S. investigation. Washington has not publicly accused Beijing of orchestrating the data breach at the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM), and China has dismissed as "irresponsible and unscientific" any suggestion that it was behind the attack.

Drama. It would be funny if the NSA was actually behind it and this is all political maneuvering.

Sounds like a good opportunity to see how close Roadrunner's models are to reality.

Anyone who thinks the PLA isn't behind this is a tool and a sympathizer.

Not in the least surprised.
China is VERY heavily invested in corporate hacking and systems infiltration and I see no reason that .gov would be off the table for them.

You need a plausible enemy to institute draconian laws and ramp up defense spending.

Considering the number of data breaches at all levels I don't see how one targeted by the government at the government advances any causes that would help the spy community as these causes are about locking things down which in theory wouldn't be in the interests of spying.

Whatever the case here, yes the Chinese are big time hackers as are the Russians as is the US. It's the game you have to play to be a power these days.

could be the chinesse they have just lost two sets of csreps that would have cut them off from stealing personal info that way so they likely needed some more free personal data to loot and pillage... loot ping style...

Anyone consider if you're a treasonous prick at high enough levels, you don't sneak out with a thumb drive up your ass, you contract information out to compromised subcontractors.

Back