Opinions

Hi Everyone,

Would like to install a new, and hopefully better, AGP video card in my wifes computer but, because of limited power, want one that is self powered and doesn't require an additional connection to the power supply. It currently has a nVIDIA GeForce FX5600.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

thats a great gesture... but to help you, we need to know what kind of power supply.. as In how much wattage it puts out,what brand, and maybe if u can amps on the rails

What's the set-up and what do you want the graphics card to do???? other than the obvious.....games, videos,internet.
MB,CPU,RAM, and PSU would be very helpful. :D

Hi Guys,

The computer is a Sony RZ45 (factory built) with a 300W power supply. She's very happy with it but I've noticed, with the factory builts, a better video card can really improve the picture and video quality. Back some time ago, when I was using a Sony factory built myself ( before I ultimately built my own) , I took out the poor quality factory installed video card and put a ATI 9600 pro card in ( doesn't require additional power) and the overall improvement was considerable.

the power supply doesn't matter that much if the card does not need an extra power molex, or "self powered".

there are good deals on x800xls from ati and they may not need an extra power molex...

I have a 6600GT that ran well on a 250 watt Shuttle PSU. Right now the same PSU is powering a 6800GT with no problem.......both require a molex , ie they're not self powered.

That being said, I think unless you have a real piece of junk PSU the 6600 GT would be an excellent choice. There are of course 7600 and 7800 series AGP cards, but I think the power reqiurements would be too great.

Well, if the you want to stick with a card that doesnt require connection to the psu, the x800xl, 6800gt, and 6600gt that were suggested are out. I would suggest something in the 9600 range, or maybe a 6200a. It depends on what you are using the card for. Also, i ran an x800xt on a 230w compaq psu taken out of an old amd k6 system for about 8 months, so her psu would be fine for a lot more than you think it would. If you could give us a price bracked that would help a lot.

MH

Im going to vote for the x800, I say don't overdo it. The x800 should suffice on the low amount of power you have

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but the x800xl's that are currently over at the ati store do require the power connector.

noelsairplanes - Having said that, the draw from the psu might still be workable on a 300w PSU. It would depend a lot on the 12v line and the rest of your system

the x800pro requires an extra connector so the x800xl probably does too...

it seems like the x700 doesn't need an extra power connector, more than likely the best card around that doesnt...the 9600xt is another one

Back