Opinions welcomed

astolpho

Limp Gawd
I've got a 800 mhz laptop that was hot shit when i bought it about 5 years ago. It still does adequately for what I use it for, but i want to build the big fast gaming machine now that I'm out of school and portability is no longer the issue it used to be. Since I'm starting from zero I can pick any platform I want. I know what ever I get I'll want to watercool and overclock. I've been doing a lot of reading in a lot of forums. This is what I think I know so far. AMD is a better gaming PC than INTEL. INTEL is a better multi-tasking PC than AMD. PCIe Video cards are not an improvement over AGP at this time. Northwood PC's clock better and perform better than Prescotts, at this time. PCIe, and DDR2 are the future. So do I save money now and buy a Nothwood/Canterwood set up with a fast AGP card, fast DDR3200 and OC the hell out of it while I wait for the Multi-core next generation cpu's, or do I take the dive into Prescott, make the early investment in PCIe and DDR2 and just upgrade Processor and mobo later, or do I just say screw it and go for a really fast AMD system and wait to see what falls out over the next year? I know that AMD motherboards are supposed to have PCIe in the near future and who knows maybe DDR2 as well, but I haven't seen that yet. Maybe the AMD chipsets won't have the OC limitations of the 925X/915.

A new keyboard with a functioning enter key to enable paragraphs should be high on your list.

Why are you buying this computer? Is it for gaming?

Pardon the writing skills. I wasn't doing it for a grade. Mainly for gaming, which makes the AMD look attractive.

I'd wait until the A64 systems support PCIe (4th quarter this year) and then upgrade.

Should be a "no brainer" if you use your computer for gaming.

Back