• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Opinions on this setup

I'm not 100% sure on the receiver but I've heard good things about Denon. Maybe someone else could help you on this particular item better than I could.

As for the speakers...
I have them sitting on my desk right now, and I love them. I've honestly not found a better sounding pair for under $100 or so. I'll give you my personal opinion of them, others may not hear them same as I do however. Also, I don't really know how to describe them technically but anyway... they have a clean sound, very nice sound stage too. I find that when listening to a song with a lot of vocals, they present those vocals very nicely. They do have a small amount of low-end, not too punchy but you'd probably eventually want to add a sub if you're looking for the full range. I seem to be able to pick out more of the details in the audio (different instruments, etc.) with these speakers. Plus... they just look good ;) I mean there's definitely better sounding speakers, but just not at this price range if you ask me.

I've also heard good things about these, but I've not heard them yet.

Hope this helps you some.
 
Wow TooBooKoo, what a great find. I have always heard good things about the Insignias as well and figured there would not be any other speaker that could match it at such a low price. but the Energy at $80 for the pair in Cherry, sounds like an amazing deal. If I was not saving up for a pair of Ushers, I would be jumping on this. With the Denon and this, I am amazed that one can make an amazing 2.0 set for about $200, which I would never expected possible for new set of passives.
 
I would really like to hear a pair of the C-50's, I think they are a beautiful speaker in the cherry finish... and if their audio sounds as good as their exterior looks then those would be hard to beat. I think either of these choices on a decent amp and you'll be off to a decent start. It's refreshing to see what $200 can get you if you shop around, especially considering that audio is a notoriously expensive hobby.

jtm55... just be careful, some of this stuff is addictive ;)
 
Hi All

Thank You TooBooKoo for giving me your opinion on the Insignia's as well as suggesting the Energy-C-50s. I too was surprised at what $200.00 could get you. I just want to have a decent sound system for my computer.

Well it's settled. I'll be picking up the Insignia's tomorrow from my local BestBuy & will place my order with Dakmart for the receiver as well.

Again, My Thanks.
 
If you get the energy speakers get the c-100's. I have a surround setup with the c-50's as rears and c-100's c-c100 on fronts and can tell you, you'd be mucher happier with the 100's. They arent much more expensive when vanns has them in stock.
 
Wow TooBooKoo, what a great find. I have always heard good things about the Insignias as well and figured there would not be any other speaker that could match it at such a low price. but the Energy at $80 for the pair in Cherry, sounds like an amazing deal. If I was not saving up for a pair of Ushers, I would be jumping on this. With the Denon and this, I am amazed that one can make an amazing 2.0 set for about $200, which I would never expected possible for new set of passives.

Which Ushers are you saving for?
 
S520s. All the others like the Tiny Dancers are way out of my league for price at this time. I was for awhile considering saving for a used pair of V601s like the pair below

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrmain&1252627884&class&3&4&

but I think I these may be a bit too big for my seltup. Anyway, I have always been very intrigued about the s520's and many say the s520s sound as good or possibly better in the highs than the V601s though it doesnt have the range (which for me is fine since I have a sub). I showed my wife the colors and I thought she would like the white or the wood veneer but she said she liked the piano blacks, which is fine by me. I am thinking of getting these sometime at the end of the year, and then maybe a few years later, move this to my wife's rig while I save up for some Ascend Sierras or Totem Rainmakers.

By the way, the s520 are not the easiest speakers to drive. I was thinking of getting the Marantz 4002 to drive them. I am wondering if this would be a good match.

Sorry for the OT post jtm55.
 
Nice to see that $200 can build a nice, respectable audio rig. Enjoy!
 
Back
Top