Opinions on this set-up

slugger_2003

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Messages
365
I have the option of buying the following set-up used for ~$300:

Yamaha DSP E390 Natural Sound Digital Sound Field Processor
Pair of Mission 731 LE Speakers with detachable grills ( Bi-wirable, 25-75 watts per channel, 8 ohms)
Mission 75C Central speaker (Bi-wirable, 25-100 watts per channel, 6 ohms, Magnetically shielded)
Paradigm PS1000 Floor standing Active Subwoofer

I was going to either buy this and potentially upgrade it in the future with 3 further satellites to upgrade it to 5.1 or I was going to buy the z-5500's.
If I have either set up, will a soundcard such as the auzentech prelude benefit me(/i understand the issue with EAX support)? Is it worth simply purchasing the Field Processor (another phrase for amp/receiver right?) and putting the z-5500's through that?

The set-up will be for my gaming PC which I also listen to music on and watch films on.
 
I'm relatively sure the sub alone is worth that. I didn't do the depth of research I'd usually go into for my own purchases since I'm not the one getting it, but it looked very promising. I'm not certain on the quality of the Mission speakers, but I doubt they could be as bad as the z5500.

The "field processor" does just look to be an amp, but I think it's also farking with the signal in some way. I'm not really clear on how. Mfg page.

I don't suppose you could get the sub alone for some fraction of the price? If so, it would be worth considering other options for the rest of the set.
 
I'm relatively sure the sub alone is worth that. I didn't do the depth of research I'd usually go into for my own purchases since I'm not the one getting it, but it looked very promising. I'm not certain on the quality of the Mission speakers, but I doubt they could be as bad as the z5500.

The "field processor" does just look to be an amp, but I think it's also farking with the signal in some way. I'm not really clear on how. Mfg page.

I don't suppose you could get the sub alone for some fraction of the price? If so, it would be worth considering other options for the rest of the set.

Yes, I could get the sub for ~$80. Surely I'd need an amp and other satelites to go with it? I currently have no kind of sound system at all.
Any further suggestions or comments from anyone? Where should I do research and on what factors?
 
It looks like the sub has its own built in amp (like many if not most subs) so it probably takes a line-in signal from the front L/R channels as input. With appropriate adapters, you might even be able to hook it directly to a computer. :eek:

Not that I'd recommend doing that. IMO get the sub for $80, which sounds like a bit of a steal, then see about the rest. (I was sort of hoping someone more familiar with the Mission brand would comment... :D)
 
I already told you, a week ago, that it was a great deal. Quit stalling and go grab the bits!
 
Well then, get the whole bundle. Before I track down who's selling it and bite first. :D
 
The mission speakers are higher-end, call that person up right now and buy all of it, it's a hot deal any way you cut it.

Those speakers are keepers, you'll be enjoying them for many years.
 
Shipping from great britain to north america may be cost prohibitive ;) :p

I used to moonlight for our company's shipping department when they were overrun, I know a few ways to get freight from A to B cheaply. :D
 
lol

none taken. just know that I know what they know and they know it!

lol

Seriously, that should be a great system.
 
Back
Top