Opinions on this barebone SFF

kent

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 8, 2001
Messages
2,603
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856140021

Before anyone complains, yes I know S754 is dead. I don't care, I've got a blazing fast Core 2 computer and it's great for what it does. Now I'm trying to put some good hardware to use.

Parts I already have:

3400+ Venice S754 (2.4GHz/512KB L2)
1.5GB Mushkin/Unknown DDR400
120GB IDE // 320GB IDE
One DVDRW
ATI Radeon X600SE (replace the onboard, this card has no RAM stealing properties)
FAR 802.11g Wireless card


Parts I need:

Nothing.


Basically, I'm spending $100+sh to put my current, unused computer into a small barebone box.


Why? Signing a lease on a bigger apartment later in the month and it'll have a bar. I've always wanted a kitchen computer and I've got a 19" 4:3 LCD I plan on using with it and a wireless KB/mouse combo. If room allows, I'd dremel a hole in the back of the WiFi backplate and run the USB cord back inside and mount the wireless combo receiver inside the actual box. Dunno how realistic that is, though.


It's the only one I can find brand new and newegg RMA policy = top notch. What do you guys think?
 
Sell the parts and put it toward something that goes in a bar: booze. Better odds of getting laid.
 
Funny smart guy.

I'm not a drinker, but I do enjoy hydroponic marijuana. Great assumption though.

The pussy magnet is a 2005 Acura RSX Type-S 6-speed manual. Why use liquor when 130MPH+ does the same job?

(Sigh.. not to mention the girlfriend of over a year and a half. This is kinda our place, so I'm not really in the need of getting laid.)
 
(Sigh.. not to mention the girlfriend of over a year and a half. This is kinda our place, so I'm not really in the need of getting laid.)
Girlfriend or not, it never hurts! Besides you are missing out on the big picture: drunken stoneage. :) Can be pure awesomeness.

Joking aside, that’s a stellar price and I was trying to distract you while I buy the last one for my carPC. Yoink! Would save me about $150, for a small loss in speed, but less battery drain and an excellent case I could use in the future with miniITX boards. Going to have to do some measurements…
 
Yeah, it's really cute. Some people complain about heat, but I'm using an E6 Venice which already runs cool.

For some reason, that "copper heatpipe" HSF looks a little suspect to me, but whatever. I can always use Clockgen to decrease multipliers and voltage.


BTW: They have 42 in stock, I hope you aren't mini-PCing 42 cars :)
 
Back
Top