• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Opinions on SFF Build

pc299

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
4,523
Looking for some feedback/opinions... this is what I'm planning on using:

Silverstone SG03-B
Silverstone ST75F 750W PSU w/ short cable set
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R motherboard
Q6600 G0
Silverstone NT06-LITE heatsink
eVGA 8800GTX
4GB Corsair XMS2 1066 RAM
OCZ XTC RAM Cooler (if it fits)
either 2x Raptor 150's or 4x 36GB 10k 2.5" SAS drives in a 5.25" hotswap enclosure and LSI PCIe 4x controller
NEC 18x SATA DVDRW or a slim floppy DVDRW if I go with the SAS setup (modded into top rear PCI slot that's above the PSU)
(2) Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm fans

I already have the Raptors, SAS setup, RAM and OCZ XTC cooler

I've seen people with similar setups, just have a few questions:
Can you use two 120mm fans with a longer card like a GTX
What's the largest fan you can fit between the base of the NT06-LITE and the fins
How's the temps with a Q6600 and a 8800GTX
 
this build will work great in a sugo3, and yes the 2 120mm fans will fit with the 8800gtx, dworley did it. and use the 4x36gb option, sounds faster and wit wont be in side the case to make heat(if u have one of those enclosures)! if your gonna sell any raptors please send me a pm!
 
Thanks for the info, I was really hoping a GTX would work with two 120mm fans. The enclosure is internal, here is a link to the one I'd be using.

I do have a pair of 74 and 150gb raptors FS, I'll PM you info.
 
nice, looks great. and that would be a sick mod to put the slim dvd in the top back slot!
 
Three reasons I'm going for the PSU:

1. If I ever decide to go back to a full tower it'll support GTX SLI without issues
2. Its designed to line up with the NT06-Lite to cool the CPU (although the Corsair might too)
3. I can get a short cable set for it, and I haven't seen one for the Corsair
 
Those are good reasons.

The short cable kit is nice, I just sold me ST60F with short cable kit.
 
We're gonna want to see pics when its done of course! :D
 
Of course... I was planning on taking pics while doing the build also, and posting everything to this thread.
 
Cool, looking forward to your temp reports with the various fan and NT06-Lite setups, pc209.
 
Hi

I'm running a Sugo 03, PK5-VM, E6850, with the NT06 cooler using the PSU fan to cool. Couple of 120mm fans on the front, top 120 mm is PWM using the CPU fan header runs at about 400rpm, and the bottom fan is about 1200 rpm.

Temps: Core 0 20-37C, Core 1 20-37C

Motherboard 25-35C

I believe the quads run quite a bit hotter.

Good luck

Hully
 
Thanks for the info... I plan on keeping both 120's at 100% as long as they're not too noisy, and I'll have to test adding a fan to the NT06 to see how that improves temps.
 
you are going to find out that the OCZ RAM cooler won't fit.

There is not enough clearance between the video card and the DIMM slots.

The corsair unit will fit though by a hair.

Sorry for the late input but I have been a little unfocused.
 
wow lucky you! i might be able to buy a raptor or two if i get enough money for my b day!
and man those are some sick as parts you got! hurry and put some pics of the finished build!
 
I got it all assembled just before midnight so I have some pics I'll throw up tonight.
 
Here we go:







I was running out of time mid-build so I skipped pics of that, but later this weekend once I have to tear it apart to test fans for the NT06-Lite I'll take a few more pics.

Sofar I've been really impressed with the temps. At stock speeds (2.4GHZ and 1066MHZ for the RAM) the most the cores got upto (measured with coretemp) during 4x SuperPi 1.5 or 2x Orthos blend was about 52c.

At 3GHZ / 1000MHZ RAM I could only get it upto about 55c under load, but the PSU did get rather warm to the touch so I definitely want supplimental cooling on the NT06-Lite.

Stock temps were around 36-40c. At both stock and 3GHZ I have eist/speedstep/whatever enabled so the CPU downclocks to 1.6 or 2GHZ at idle.

My GTX's fan is set to 100% on boot by rivatuner and it idles at 51-52c, so I'm very pleased with that also. I get 11,600 3dmarks (2006) at stock and 12,635 at 3GHZ.

Both S-Flex fans are connected to standard molex connectors using adaptors so they're running at full speed, but are very quiet for pushing 49cfm each.

Over all I'm extremely happy with the quality of the case and how everything integrates.

Feel free to ask any questions/request pics of specific things and I'll do my best to respond.
 


I decided to throw my Raptor150's in there, and they cabled in suprisingly nicely.

The one issue I have left is a 25mm thick fan will not stay in place without proper mounting and hits a component on the motherboard. You can see in the first picture how a 80mm fan would work if it was properly mounted (screwed to the heatsink)

I'm going to have to investigate 20mm thick fans and figure out what would be the best solution. I'm hoping a 20mm thick Yate Loon 120 would work, and I'm relatively sure it would clear the northbridge heatsink so that would even have better cooling too.

I had a mini lanparty last night and played a few hours of BF2/CoD2/FEAR and had 0 issues whatsoever, so I'm very very happy how things turned out.
 
Your build gives me great confidence in building a quad system in my SG03 like I had planned.
 
I actually think it will... but why go with that over 4x1GB? I doubt it'll O/C much better and it probably costs 25% more.

I can check tonight provided I have time to give you a rough estimate of how much clearance you'll have between the PSU and top of my standard-sized corsair memory.
 
I haven't had a chance yet... been out of the country on business for a week. I'm planning on ordering some 20mm thick fans in the next few weeks to try.
 
Thanks... anything in particular you'd like to see?
 
The case from the front with out the grill on, did you do the dvd mod? if so i would like to see that, and maybe it running. That would be all, also hows the psu?
 
I'm not going to pull the grill, it was a huge pain in the ass to remove. The grill/fans/enclosure just pop into the case using a couple plastic notches that fit into holes in the aluminum of the case.

I didn't end up doing the DVD mod because I rarely use cds/dvds so its rather pointless for me. I might pick up a USB DVDRom instead.

The PSU works well, no issues with it... it does get a bit warm when the CPU is under full load though.
 
I haven't gotten a 20mm thick fan yet, so I don't know.
 
nice build. i'm wondering if i can somehow fit a fan under my gemin II or throw a fat on top of the part that's left sticking out from under the psu. what do you think?
geminsg03top.JPG


31C idle
51C load
3.0GHz e6320
 
You can fit two 60mm fans on there with one sticking over a little. Use zip ties, but ya that looks sick man!
 
You can fit two 60mm fans on there with one sticking over a little. Use zip ties, but ya that looks sick man!

I agree, that's about your only option with the GeminII... honestly I think the NT06-Lite would cool better than the GeminII... that's a pretty big delta between idle and load. As you can see my q6600 has a smaller delta and really doesn't get any hotter than your e6320.
 
I still love this build, I have been really wanting a sugo3 or the nzxt case(cant remember the name), how are all the temps? Can you show us the idle and load for cpu gpu hdd?:D
 
I don't have HDD temps as I'm using 4 2.5" SAS drives in a 5.25" enclosure, I've posted idle (36-40c)/load(55c max) temps for the CPU already and idle for the GPU (51-52c). I'll have to play around more later this week and give you some load temps after 3dmark/gaming.
 
I agree, that's about your only option with the GeminII... honestly I think the NT06-Lite would cool better than the GeminII... that's a pretty big delta between idle and load. As you can see my q6600 has a smaller delta and really doesn't get any hotter than your e6320.

bwahaha. i stuck a 120mmx20mm fan between the psu and the front grill fans. it's tilted a little and held in by the psu power connectors. the cpu is back down to stock clock because it's not wanting to suspend and restart at oc speeds. just hangs there. so i left it at stock. temps are real low. 27C idle/web browsing 37C load. system/ambient is 27C idle/load. yah, performance isn't that great, but i can't complain for something i bought for a few pennies + shipping.:D
 
Back
Top