Opinions on mounting small LCDs?

rflcptr

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all,

I've got 2 Acer 231HL's (23", 1080P, LED [thin and light]) and don't like them sitting standalone on the desk. The problems I have with the setup now is that, while typing, they wobble a bit (distracting) and I want to be able to adjust their heights independently. Increasing my desk's available surface area is definitely a plus, too. I plan on a side-by-side arrangement with both displays in landscape orientation. I'll be using the setup most of the time for programming, reading, and all-around multitasking.

1) What brands and models have you had experience with?
2) How stable are they?
3) If possible, do you have pics of your setup?

cliffs:
- want to mount 2 x 23" in side-by-side landscape
- needs arms
- wall not an option
- prefer a single desk mount (not stand), but can do two if needed
- willing to use a floor stand to avoid wobbling

Thanks! :cool:

Last edited:
Take a look at monoprice.com's page (scroll down a ways to the 'LCD Desk Mount Brackets' section).

I don't have personal experience with those products. In my searching for a desk mount to free space on my desk, and also hold a 2nd monitor (HP zr24w I'm looking at you) I came across this product at monoprice. From what I've seen in my searches these appear to be the best stands for the money. If anyone knows better clue me in.

For you specifically I know the dual monitor mount will not adjust independently vertically, but you may then be interested in two single-monitor mounts. Just want to give you the resource.

I'm using a pair of the cheap ~$20 monoprice arms on my two monitors.

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

They are cheap, and it shows. The clamps aren't the best (if you overtighten the bolts, it can bend the C-clamp a bit) and the joints aren't the greatest (you need to use an allen wrench to adjust height, and some of the joints are a little stiff requiring both hands to get it positioned just right.

One feature I really like is that the ends rotate (so you can easily to go portrait viewing mode) and the ends tilt (so you can have the monitor tilted up or down.

I'm pretty happy with them, overall. Keep in mind, though, you get what you pay for. The more expensive monitor arms are easier to move around. If I was planning on sliding the monitors all over the place every day, I'd buy a more expensive ones. But I just want to set them up in an ideal position and then leave them like that the majority of time, so the Monoprice ones were a good choice. It's a little more of a hassle to adjust them, but they work just as well.

Awesome, didn't even think of Monoprice! :)

I'm strongly leaning towards this one. For $40, I don't think I can beat it, even if I gave up independent heights (which for me, may not matter, first experience after all). It might be a little snug with the 2x23", but I've got 30 days to find out, heh.

Thanks!

Back