Opinions on buying mbook pro now.

weppy

n00b
hi all,

someone is selling a used (2 months old) mbook pro. its the low end model right now (c2d 2.16) with an extra gb of ram which makes it 2 gbs of ram in total. it also comes with 10 months of applecare - theyre asking for 2000 bux CAD.

i was wondering what your opinions are on if i should pick this up or wait til the new mbooks pro come out (supposedly in june).

thanks!

do you need it now?

buy it now.

Has apple made an official announcement of new hardware in june? pretty unlikely, they hardly ever do that. (I think the AppleTV was the *first* and only so far).

So whatever you know about june might just be heresay and rumour.

If you absolutely need it, get one. Otherwise I'd wait to save some cash on Leopard and hopefully santa rosa will involve a redesigned chasis with a easy to swap hard drive like the macbook has. That and with Leopard we might finally get some higher DPI displays which would be nice. Then again you could wait a little longer for Intel's new CPU... The waiting game could go on forever. :p

However, $2000 CAD used isn't great imo. With the Apple Developer Connection Student discount of 20% the $2199 CAD MBP 15 becomes $1859 new after figuring in the extra $99 for the ADC subscription. I'm not entirely sure the discount will apply to AppleCare if its purchased in the same order but I think it does. Of course, if you aren't a student then you just need to know someone who is that can pick one up for you. ;)
http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html

I'm not entirely sure the discount will apply to AppleCare if its purchased in the same order but I think it does.

I'm almost positive that AppleCare can be purchased at the educational rate anytime.

I'm almost positive that AppleCare can be purchased at the educational rate anytime.

It does, just add AppleCare to your cart from the educational store or in the configuration of your MBP.

Or you can buy AppleCare down the line if you're not sure and it'll be the same price.

wow those developer prices are unreal....

I would take a few classes at a local college just to get those prices

wow those developer prices are unreal....

I would take a few classes at a local college just to get those prices

Yeah... I wish I'd have looked through that before I bought my MacBook; I probably could have snagged an MBP instead.

i just bought a refurb C2D macbook pro for 1599. so far well worth the purchase, even better when i get bootcamp up.

It does, just add AppleCare to your cart from the educational store or in the configuration of your MBP.

Or you can buy AppleCare down the line if you're not sure and it'll be the same price.

I ment the 20% developer discount you can get as a student for the ADC $99 subscription.

I bought a 2 Ghz White C2D with 1 GB ram and 80 GB HD for $97-0 from a girl who didnt like Apple once she tried it. I've been waiting for a Santa Rosa MBP with a decent video card but this will tide me over nicely and I cant see losing too much on it once I'm ready to upgrade =)

So, my opinion is watch for bargains but resign yourself to the fact that you will want the SR once it comes out =)

Sam

On another note Leopard is further delayed to October so at least your OS won't be outdated for a while. The MBP is a great machine if you are an OSX person!

I'd hold off for another month or so for an update. Aside from bringing in Santa Rosa architecture, you're also likely to see newer graphics chips (think Mobility Radeon HD 2600 or GeForce Go 8600) -- and, importantly, LED backlighting that could improve colour and battery life.

I was thinking of getting a MBP in the next few weeks, but any chance for a revision in the videocard would be totally worth waiting for.

Back