Opinions on Backup Utilities

murph

Limp Gawd
I'll preface this with the fact that this is most likely a stupid question but here goes...

Scenario:

I have my computer, say computer A, and want to make a complete backup of it. I don't want to install anything on computer A however, and I want to save the backup image to my laptop.

What utilities can do this and what have you had experience with ?

Thanks in advance.

norton ghost

boot with the CD. back up the partition to an image file. norton ghost even supports usb1.1 and usb2 drives (not all) and CDR/W and DVDR/W drives.

2nd vote for Ghost

Ghost also has direct cable connection and network connection capabilites that will allow for saving the image directly to your laptop. It will be slow, but it does work.

However the "trick" is restoring that image to your computer when it's needed. It would be much faster to restore from CDs or DVDs than over a direct cable connection.

SJConsultant said:
2nd vote for Ghost

Ghost also has direct cable connection and network connection capabilites that will allow for saving the image directly to your laptop. It will be slow, but it does work.

However the "trick" is restoring that image to your computer when it's needed. It would be much faster to restore from CDs or DVDs than over a direct cable connection.

I just want to make sure I have this correct. Ghost will support creating a disk image of Machine A without having to install anything on Machine A and I would be able to either burn it to Machine A's CD burner or via some connection to my laptop ? Right ?

murph said:
I just want to make sure I have this correct. Ghost will support creating a disk image of Machine A without having to install anything on Machine A and I would be able to either burn it to Machine A's CD burner or via some connection to my laptop ? Right ?

You'll need to install Ghost on your laptop, create the boot disks, then use the bootdisk on your machine to create the image of your machine onto the medium of your choice. But yes it can be done without installing anything on the computer to be imaged.

Be forewarned not all network cards, usb, or firewire devices are supported.

Back