Opinions on a V354b SFF gaming build.

msdmoney

n00b
I wanted to get opinions on this pc build since I haven't built a new pc in 4.5 years. Any incompatibilities or issues with enough space since it is a SFF? It's around my typical budget of $1300, except I'm thinking of splurging for the m500 960gb.

1. What will you be doing with this PC? Mostly gaming and web browsing, but I want this to be fast and responsive which is why I am going with the SSD. I also dislike constantly managing my hard drive which is why I have the 960gb m500 in the build.
2. Will you be overclocking? Potentially later on.
3. What's your budget? The parts list below falls within my budget, using some existing parts I already have the amount set aside.
4. Where do you live? Los Angeles, not close enough to a microcenter and I think I'm going to buy everything online.
5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? I've listed the parts below.
6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? The psu, windows and my old hard drive as a backup.
7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s?Since I'm going with Haswell it will have all the latest features I need, USB 3.0, etc. I've always liked Asus motherboards and the microatx ROG VI Gene seems like a good fit.
8. What resolution output do you need? My monitor is 1920x1200, I also have wireless hdmi to my television which is 1920x1080 for couch gaming.
9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? I want it to fit on my desk, in this area that is limited in height, and I like sff systems. I will get a blu ray burner.
10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? Not very comfortable
11. How important is the noise/silence of this system? I don't want it to be ultra loud, but it doesn't have to be silent. At my desk I usually use headphones, when I game on my tv I'm a decent distance from the computer.
12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc? Doesn't need to be portable.
13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Yep, Windows 7
14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? In the next week.

Below is the parts list from Newegg. I already have the psu and the operating system, so those can be dropped from the price, I just wanted to reflect the parts I was moving over.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 960GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($649.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($415.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li PC-V354B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($154.48 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2259.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-15 00:23 EDT-0400)

Which specific PSU do you have? How old is it?

Drop the i7-4770K down to the i5-4670K. Gaming doesn't utilize the i7-4770K's Hyper Threading and the i5-4670K is only 200MHz slower at stock speeds.

Are you buying the OEM/barebones LG Blu-ray drive or the retail pack? If OEM, do you already have some Blu-ray playback software?

Why Windows 7 Ultimate over Professional?

The psu is a corsair AX750 (the one cited in the pcpartpicker), I've had it for about a year now in my current computer.

I am buying an OEM Blu Ray player.

I already have Windows 7 Ultimate, it's what I'm using on my current machine. It was given to me as a gift a few years ago.

If your Windows 7 license is OEM, then you can't use it on your new system.

Since you're buying an OEM optical drive, either drop it down to a $20-or-less DVD burner or spend some money on some media playback software. One option is ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre.

You're good with the power supply. I had to ask because historically, some people wanted to reuse crappy PSUs with no idea of the potential consequences.

It's a retail Windows copy. They got a good deal on it, I think direct from Microsoft at some internal Microsoft store which is why it is the Ultimate and not just the professional version. Thanks for the recommendation on the software, I do have an old dvd burner I could move over, I was planning on upgrading to a blu ray player.

Remember that the retail Windows license can only be activated on one machine at a time. It would be best to erase any and all old drives that you installed your retail license on.

If you insist on a Blu-ray drive, you need to find a retail version that comes with some media playback software. The alternatives (in terms of software) aren't cheap.

To repeat, go with the i5-4670K instead of the i7-4770K. You gain no benefit in gaming from the latter.

If you're somewhat serious about overclocking, you should either grab a second (ideally identical) fan for the H60 or swap out the H60 for the H80.

Back