Opinions on a new camera

Zallek

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
449
Im currently running with a Canon PowerShot A75, but it just isnt cutting it. I'm trying to get back into photography and such and this camera doesnt like closeups at all. Basically I just want something a little more higher end, and my price range is $600cnd, give or take. Im not a camera guru or anything, but I'm willing to take the time to learn, I just need some guidance heh.

What I've been looking at so far is the PowerShot G7 and PowerShot S3 IS, but Im leaning more towards the S3. Any opinions on those two? Or is there something else I should look at? Im somewhat partial towards Canon, but I'd try Nikon if I could find something to fit my needs.

Any help would be appreicated. Thanks in advance.
 
Unless going into the SLR range, I would say no doubt stay with Canon. Nikon's smaller cameras are not the best from my experience with them.
 
What is SLR? And would it even be worth my money as an a newbie?
 
SLR are the bigger cameras that have interchangable lenses. Examples are the Canon Digital Rebels, Nikon D50, D80, etc.

Probably not needed for a noobie and they are a lot bigger to lug around and a lot more expensive.
 
start doing your research on DSLR cameras (they allow you to change lenses, and IMO are worth the price)

Particularly I would point you toward the Nikon D40 you can buy them in the U.S. for about $550
 
If I went the low-end SLR route I could grab a Nikon D40 with a AF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G Lens for close to $600cnd, or a Canon Rebel XT with a Tamron 28-80MM Lens for a couple bucks more after shipping. I most likely wont be buying anything soon, as I still have a few projects that need the money first, Im just trying to get some knowledge before I take the plunge. If I didnt go with a low-end SLR camera, what would be the next best thing for a new comer? Moving up from my PowerShot A75.
 
I say the S3IS for a point and shoot. And Im a Nikonian so, it is a good camera if Im suggesting a Cannon product, well anything but a printer. I suggested it to my boss for his whife and, to Oldie. Both love the camera.
 
I hate carrying our Rebel XT but it takes phenomenal pictures. The little guys are handier and take good pics, but the Rebel pics are better.

So it really depends on what you want it for and how you will use it.
 
I ended up picking the Canon Rebel XT, the prices I listed earlier were ebay ones, so I ended up paying the fee for buying locally, which I'd rather do anyways. But I scored the first one for a little over $1000cnd, went and showed my mom (who used to be obsessed with photography) and she sorta went ballistic.. Because appearntly where she works has the same camera (I didnt notice it, my bad lol) for the same price, but comes with the 18-55mm lens and the 70-200mm lens (I think its a 70-200).. So after explaining to her that I if she uses her amex I'll just pay her off in 2 months because I cant buy things from Costco anyways heh.

I was looking at the S3IS at a store here but they wanted something like $700 for it.. So I figured.. $300 more.. For a better camera.. that from what I understand, is FAR superior.. I may as well do it.

So far I'm very impressed with it, as I wasnt too sure what to expect. But it is an AMAZING camera thus far, and I've only toyed with it for an hour or so. I love it. I'll post some pictures later once I take this one back (They told me I could 'test' it for 15 days prior to purchasing it.. So I figure what the hell!) and by that time I'll have my other one.
 
how did you end up with the XT, did you even hold or use the D40?.....or perhaps look at the D40's LCD screen?
 
I was playing with the D40 and XT/XTI at Futureshop before I made up my mind, I just liked how the XT felt over the D40, and even though it doesnt seem like its even a different size, it just felt smaller for some reason. Another leading decision was my mom has a huge stash of EF/EFS lenses.. Not sure what Nikon uses for lenses, but I know they're all Canon ones that my mom has, so that saves me a huge ton of money. The Nikon was also $400 more? For some reason... Not sure why it was priced so high at the 3 places I looked locally.. So that was another deciding factor.

-Edit-

Oh yeah, and about how I said I wasnt gonna buy anything soon.. lol, I guess it was a quick decision since I dont normally throw this kind of money around, but the fact that I've already impressed my self with it compared to my old camera and I've only just begun to realize what these things can do, it just seems like it makes a lot of sense to buy an SLR camera over a point and shoot.. My A75 ran me $350cnd when I got it, which was 2 years ago now, but Im sure for $400-500 more I could have got more than twice the camera from an SLR.
 
Ok now it makes sense, I would have bought a canon also if I had access to a bunch of lenses. That will save a ton of money since lenses are what cost the big $. Enjoy and practice......SLR stands for Some Learning Required. (I stole this off of Nikonians.com)
 
Im noticing. I like it though, much more fun than a point and shoot like my old camera. With the stock 18-55 lens it does amazing closeups.. I cant wait til I can play with my other lenses that are ment for closeups..
 
Thats awesome if your mom has a bunch of lenses.

If they are Canon, they will only work on a Canon (at least without some sort of adapter or something odd).

Canon will not let you down though, they are amazing cameras. I still love my Digital Rebel 300D :)
 
My mothers camera is half the reason why Im partial to Canon as far as cameras are concerned. I've always loved the pictures they took when she did photography. Im still surprised that she sort of snapped when I showed up with an SLR though.. Considering she has a film SLR.. lol /shrug, maybe shes just jealous because she doesnt have as much time as she'd like anymore! haha

Im trying to find out how many lenses and what type they are right now.. I'll probably have to wait til tomorrow though.
 
I wish flickr wasn't so slow for me...

I have slower internet and flickr is horrible on slower connections (to many things to load). Makes it hard to look through lots of pictures.
 
I'll take a look for her lenses today. Im not sure when I'll actually get 'my' Canon XT, because I had to take my loaner back today as part of the deal for the other one.. Which is out of stock. I could have it tomorrow, or a month.. Hopefully tomorrow :D
 
Ok so I found the bag of goodies.

Not sure if I can use every lense.. But, I'll find out I guess. They look like they're the same style lense that the XT uses, except with some minor differences.

The camera my mother used to use is the Canon TLb, and it has a 50mm lense on it atm. The only numbers i can see aside from the main ones are 213 on the base of the lense where it attatches to the camera, and 1111507 on the bottom of it, if that means anything.. Other than that its just a 50mm lense from what I can tell. I also have a Soligor Auto Tele Converter x2. Says it Fits Canon FD lens, so Im assuming these have a different mounting than an EF lens. That sucks.. lol

The third lens is an 80-200 mm which my dad said with that converter it becomes a 160-400mm lens, which I was really hyped for.. Hopefully they still fit. Its called a Sigma Zoom 52. Im really looking forward to my new found toy when I get it again.. And I really hope these lenses fit :D The 80-200mm lens my dad said cost them $500ish or so back in the day. /shrug I'll see how it goes.

-Edit-

Just found a Canon FD Lenses instruction book thinger in her bag that says "For F-1, EF, FTb, TX and TLb use". Am I just getting excited because it says EF, which could very well be a model of camera from Canon? Or is it saying that all those type of lenses can be interchanged?
 
I know nothing about Canon but I would suggest you use wiki or find a good canon forum.
 
the fd mount is the older cannon mount, and I am not sure about the availability of adapters to make it fit ef/efs cameras
 
Did some reading now that I actually know what mounting that older camera used, and I've narrowed it down to it isnt worth the money/effort to buy an adapter to use FD lenses on the EF mounting flange due to loss in image quality. For the most part Im not at a huge loss.. The kit Im picking up has 2 similar lenses to the ones I already have, an 18-55mm and a 70-200mm, the only thing I wont have is that 2x converter, but I think I'll survive til I get a little more [Hard]core.
 
Did some reading now that I actually know what mounting that older camera used, and I've narrowed it down to it isnt worth the money/effort to buy an adapter to use FD lenses on the EF mounting flange due to loss in image quality. For the most part Im not at a huge loss.. The kit Im picking up has 2 similar lenses to the ones I already have, an 18-55mm and a 70-200mm, the only thing I wont have is that 2x converter, but I think I'll survive til I get a little more [Hard]core.

Are you sure that 70-200 isn't really a 70-300? The most common lenses I've seen in the non-photo electronic stores (BB, CC, etc) are the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 "kit lens" and the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM.

Rather than getting the 70-300, I'd get the 70-200 f/4L USM. It's an L lens, superbly sharp even wide open, and you have a constant f/4 aperture throughout the zoom range.
It's also built like a tank. When you get a bit more advanced, I recommend the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Better built than the 18-55, and you have a constant f/2.8 aperture.

I'd also recommend against getting a 2x teleconverter. Sure, you'll get double the focal length, but you'll also lose two stops of light, making the viewfinder very dim. You will also lose autofocus on the Rebel XT with certain lenses, which can only operate at apertures of f/8 and below.
If you must have one, get the 1.4x teleconverter instead.
 
Nah, wasnt meaning that I *need* the converter, just thought it would be neat to have. And the second lens that comes with the XT Im buying is actually a 55-200mm, the sigma lens my mom has is the 70-200mm, and I thought they were both the same.

This is the kit Im getting, and it also isnt as much as it says on the website, not sure why. /shrug But the 18-55mm lens has an aperture of f3.5 to f5.6 and the 55-200mm has an aperture of f4.5 to f5.6.
Canon XT Kit
 
Back
Top