Opinions of the MSI Big Bang Xpower

DivineDark

n00b
Just wanted to put some feelers out there to see what you guys think. Anyone have any experiences with it? I think it looks like a fantastic board and I've read nothing but favorable reviews of it. I've heard that it's too immature... Not sure what that means.

Anyways, I'm working through a pc issue, and if it turns out to be a mobo compatibility problem, this, the Gigabyte UD3R, or the EVGA FTW3 are my next options.

Id go with the giga ud3r or ud5r for sure as my first choise..they are proven boards..the msi looks good but its still fairly new and from user reviews on xtreme system forums its hit or miss...bios is not fine tuned yet..msi has been slower than asus and gigabyte putting out bios updates...the giga boards are probubly one of the top x58 boards as well as asus boards..msi x58 boards seem to run hot though..
A better board than the big bang IMO is the asus re3 formula...its a beast...
the msi may be fine for what you using it for but it would be far down on my list of boards...the giga and asus boards are bulletproof and you would be wise to go with one of them..
the msi board had memory compatability issues if i remember correctly but dont know if its been addressed yet.
if your going to spend 275 on a board you better look at the formula, or the giga ud5r or if you want to go all out the giga ud7 is a beast of a board too..
if your only doing 4.0 or less o/clocks the giga ud3r is a great choise and is a very durable..lots of people have it so there is alot of help in the forums on all the giga boards.....good luck...
I personally run the dfi board in my sig and i got it a year ago before they disappeared and what a great board it is....id reccomend it but there gone and the few u can find are priced out of site....

I would second the Formula

It takes all the advanced design elements of the Rampage III Extreme and brings it to a more aggressive price point. All of the key high performance features you would want are there.
1. Digital VRM
2. Intel Lan
3. Dual Slot Spacing great airflow when using 2 way sli or crossfire ( 3 way sli or crossfire fits on the board without any overhang )
4. True Dual bios desing ( each bios can have its own bios revision and is bootable )
5. ROG Connect the most advanced way to externally Overclock or monitor a system
6. ROG Class bios – Great overclocking , compatibility and ensured performance.

The Rampage III Formula offers a more advanced Digital PWM design especially for sustained high level overclocks this is what is has been designed for. Additionally its implementation allows for extensive VRM controls within the bios for overclocking adjustment.

Intel Lan - Is the reference in overall performance, compatibility and driver quality

I also personally think ROG Connect is much more useable than a small external pad for monitoring and overclocking.

Bios Bios Bios - Overall ROG boards set the bard for the quality, functionality and performance of our bios builds. In addition as it use the base code for the Rampage III Extreme while it was provuced afterward it was already quite mature as it recevied much of the devleopment and refinement that went into the Rampage III Extreme.

If you have no need for 3 way SLI though you should strong consider the SABERTOOTH. It is an awesome board at a great price.

Has a strong solid bios, solid overclocking overclocking and tru mil class components ( they are actually independently validated ) on top of that it comes with a 5 year warranty. That is a whole lot of board for under $200 bucks.

Below is a 4.2GHz solid screenshot, I am not a fan of prime as it is not a realistic load but as you can see the board can run it without issue.
Hope this helps. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back