• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Opinions for office speaker setup...

SHDSM

n00b
Joined
May 17, 2010
Messages
41
I am currently in the market for a speaker setup for my office. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of space to work with. My office is 12x14 (168sqft). My budget as it stands right now is about $600 dollars for a system. I listen to a lot of rock, hip hop, classical music so I need something that will play well within those genres and have deep rich bass.

I did a little research and came up with these three systems. Please give me your opinion on them or other suggestions you may have.

- Bose Companion 5
- Bose Bose Companion 3
- Logitech Z-5500

Thanks in advance,
 
Dude....

Glad that you asked. All of the systems you listed are "ok" but overpriced. You can do much better for the money.

Looks like you want a simple plug and play stereo?
 
Dude....

Glad that you asked. All of the systems you listed are "ok" but overpriced. You can do much better for the money.

Looks like you want a simple plug and play stereo?

Yeah something PnP would be nice since I am sorta limited on space.

You mentioned I can do much better for the money... Any suggestions?
 
Z-5500
Z-5500
Z-5500

Did I mention Z-5500?



Oh BTW...Z-5500

Seriously though, they can be had for cheap when they go on sale. I've owned a set for roughly 4yrs now, and I've loved them every second of that time. I got my set for cheap out the back of some dudes trunk lol...but after owning them I would have gladly payed the $350 asking price. I've been lucky, my control pod has held out...I know some of the early revisions had issues. Looking at the latest set I see, they've redone the control pod...so it might be better or worse (no clue). As for the speakers themselves, they sound great. Obviously, they are not truly audiophile grade as they lack a dedicated midbass. But Logitech was pretty clever with the tuning of the sub and the crossover points, and you don't really miss anything. Movie playback is perfect...they support true Dolby Digital and DTS...and gaming is fantastic too. The Control pod has lots of tuning options, and if you are mod inclined, can be taken apart and rebuilt for a true audiophile experience (replacing caps, changing crossover points, etc). As for volume...they get plenty loud, in a small office it would be stupid loud. The Bass is unparalleled among PC speaker systems.
 
No offense but the 5500 for music? Really? 5.1 with no midrange, where music lives. Really?

No.

For a small, cool looking, pc desktop 2.1 look at something like

NuForce Icon has a great dac,amp combo in a small package.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NUICON

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NUSX

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1NUW1

or maybe the Icon amp and some decent bookshelf speakers and a small sub. No idea what the icon speakers sound like btw. Just showing something quick.

Just an example of what alternatives there are.
 
Last edited:
The Bose speakers aren't horrible. $200 or $400 depending on which set you get. Not the best value for money but not terrible. Go listen to them if you get the chance. I can't recommend the z5500 at ALL in this case. They get loud, sure. But the quality is lacking.

Personally I'd probably get some NHT M00 monitors, or some SuperZeros and a sub. If wall mounts were an option, I'd consider MMG-W's.
 
No offense but the 5500 for music? Really? 5.1 with no midrange, where music lives. Really?

No.

For a small, cool looking, pc desktop 2.1 look at something like

NuForce Icon has a great dac,amp combo in a small package.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NUICON

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NUSX

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1NUW1

or maybe the Icon amp and some decent bookshelf speakers and a small sub. No idea what the icon speakers sound like btw. Just showing something quick.

Just an example of what alternatives there are.


You rant on about lacking midrange, yet you suggest a setup with absolutely no midbass. Same philosophy...tiny 3" drivers in a ported enclosure with a large sub. No different then the Logitechs.
 
You rant on about lacking midrange, yet you suggest a setup with absolutely no midbass. Same philosophy...tiny 3" drivers in a ported enclosure with a large sub. No different then the Logitechs.

I agree and it was late. That is why I included the Icon plus bookshelves after that. Just showing an example of what else is available.

Plus, I am willing to bet my left nut they have better mids than the 5550s.

Now that the Gizmo is gone, I am looking for a new option for a pc "receiver".

Speaker wise NHT, Paradigm, WAF-1s, etc are all good options.
 
Back
Top