Opinions: add a 2nd 5870 or buy 6950 and flash to 6970?

masterosok

Gawd
Just curious what people think I should do. I am considering getting a 3rd 24 monitor (1920x1200) and I also want to add a little extra GPU power to my system.

Not sure what would be the optimal option at this point.... I know the 6950 are more expensive then a 5870 but I have heard of scaling issue with the 5870s in xfire.. not sure if that is still an issue or not.

Thoughts?

I just picked up a 3rd 23 monitor and am replacing my 5870 with a 6950 (that I intend to flash) because I intend to do crossfire and eyefinity down the road (not to far down the road).

From what I heard and read, scaling is still an issue with Cypress.

For 3 monitors I believe two 5870s would be better, with my 5970 most games run fine maxed with some AA.

Don't know if scaling is much different with the 5850's, but mine scale well.

I currently have 2 5850's, which run fantastic. Until I start to overclock. If you plan to OC in Xfire, I'd suggest moving to the 6xxx. There is just a fatastic screen flicker issue known with the 58xx series cards when ocing in xfire.

No problem with screen flicker here. Just standard problem with idle clocks dropping too low at idle when oc'd. Nothing a bios reflash or MSIafterburner can't fix.

No problem with screen flicker here. Just standard problem with idle clocks dropping too low at idle when oc'd. Nothing a bios reflash or MSIafterburner can't fix.

I've flashed both cards to asus unlocked bios, i've used afterburner, overdrive, and smart doctor. I've modified the 2d clocks to 400/1000, i've removed all "enableulps" in registry. I still have serious screen flicker when ocd' sadness :(

Sorry to thread jack. But are you using multiple monitors? And are you getting screen flash at idle or in applications/games?

I have a 42" lcd hooked through HDMI for when I want to watch movies, other than that I use just a single 22", only flickers during 2d applications.

If you are using RBE for the bios try setting all of the clocks to no lower than 400/1000. If you use the wizard it only changes two of the settings (change the rest manually).

Can anyone share any further information on why one would be better than the other. I appreciate the answers so far but I am looking for a little more info.

Can anyone confirm if the scaling issues have been resolved?

Depends on the 5870 you got. It it's the 1GB 5870 I'd say sell it and go for a 6950 2GB (flashed to a 6970).

Just curious what people think I should do. I am considering getting a 3rd 24 monitor (1920x1200) and I also want to add a little extra GPU power to my system.

Not sure what would be the optimal option at this point.... I know the 6950 are more expensive then a 5870 but I have heard of scaling issue with the 5870s in xfire.. not sure if that is still an issue or not.

Thoughts?

Sell, take that cash from the sale, buy the XFX 6950 2GB, Unlock Full Shaders from cards own bios, Overclock to 900/1400, game like hell & enjoy!

so is there no point in buying 6970's or do they still have a performance benefit over 6950s

yes, more monitor need the extra memory.
I sait, If you have 5870 2GB version stick with it, or just buy more as they are better compare to 6950.

yes, more monitor need the extra memory.
I sait, If you have 5870 2GB version stick with it, or just buy more as they are better compare to 6950.

Are you saying that 5870 2gb xfire is better than a single 6950 or are you saying that 5870 2GB is are better than 6950 2GB in general? If the later are you sure you not confusing the 6950 with the 6850?

Back