Opinions: 590s or 680s?

Neenja_Jenkins

Weaksauce
Okay, two things: Through a bit of dumb luck and a rather awesome wife, I got a brand new EVGA Classified 680 Hydro Copper for Christmas (who knew she was listening when I jokingly mentioned the new 680s). I'm considering ordering another if I can find one somewhere and going SLI, but...

...would it really be worth it if I'm already running dual watercooled 590s?

A little more than a year ago, I scored a REALLY good deal with someone selling two GTX590s. I thought it was overkill, but I really couldn't beat the price. So I grabbed them quick. Turns out, they are fairly powerful cards, but also very HOT cards, with them hitting 90C and higher under load. I watercooled them with EK water blocks, the temps fell back into desirable ranges and things have been very nice since.

I feel like I have more "theoretical" power than real usable power though, and at mega resolutions, I feel like I'm being held back by 1.5gb of vram which really keeps those 590s from flexing their muscles.

Secondly, what do you guys think I could get for two watercooled 590s if I sold them?

I think you should get about 250-300 each with waterblock. I see a lot of 580 going at 200-225 with the stock air cooling. If you really need a sli, sell them to get another 680 but only one is a good horse power.

Really? I know it's folly to expect a real return on something like this, but ouch. Stock 580s go for 200+ still, but a 590 (which at retail was double the price of a 580), with about the nicest waterblock available already installed only gets $50 more!? Boo. I guess I won't know until I try though.

Haha, I guess my expectations were a bit high :eek:

Last edited:
Really? I know it's folly to expect a real return on something like this, but ouch. Stock 580s go for 200+ still, but a 590 (which at retail was double the price of a 580), with about the nicest waterblock available already installed only gets $50 more!? Boo. I guess I won't know until I try though.

Haha, I guess my expectations were a bit high :eek:

The 590s were good cards when they were King, but as you mentioned there are several reasons why you can't expect to sell them for the same price as a 680..

1. The 1.5GB of Vram does really limit them @ high resolutions

2. The power draw on a 590 is insane, nearly double that of a 680 with lower performance

3. A 590 suffers from the same issues as any other set of cards in SLI..If the game doesn't scale well, it doesn't matter that you have two gpus on a single PCB..The second one is just barely being taxed or even worse, not being used at all..

Back