Opinion on new sound setup (FLAC, Gaming)

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
My current setup is a X-Fi Elite Pro, to a Headroom Mini Amp to DT770 (250). Im looking to "up the ante" on my audio setup, and need an opinion on the following:

Selling my Elite Pro, and going to an X-Fi Titanium (to maintain EAX in gaming,and I want to use the optical out in the back of the card, vs. the breakout box on the Elite Pro) to a Compass DAC (Headphone Amp / Preamp).

I figure that the gaming setup won't change, but that should be a nice step up in FLAC/APE listening.

In about a month, I plan on upgrading my 'cans as well, but not sure what path I'll take there (thinking about some darth beyers or a derivative of).

Opinions / Suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks good... but the DB are such a bad pair of headphones imo. Terribly copious amounts of bass...

What other suggestions do the gaggle have? I'm more familiar with the DT lineup, vs. others, but suggestions will be absolutely welcomed

Budget: approx $400
Usage: Primary will be gaming, but I listen to a lot of music (mostly FLAC / APE) but some high bit variable mp3's.
Style: Techno / dance, Hard Rock / Heavy Metal, Jazz, and Classical. To be honest, anything but gangsta / ghetto rap.

My DT770's really have mellowed out with usage, probably around 200 hours of noise before things balanced out, and I definitely agree that they were very boomy on the low end, and the highs were tinny, harsh.

I'd rather stay with a close headset vs. open as well.

Hmm... most of the higher end headphones are open... Lemme look around again.

EDIT: Denon D2000, Denon D5000, Ultrasone PROline 750, ATH A900

Also, modding is documented to have some positive changes to the Denon headphones.

Back