• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Operation Laptop Cover

zoggy

n00b
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
61
Okay, I have an Dell Inspiron 8600. It is just silver and blue bezel around the keyboard. Recently I went on a trip and wanted a cover to protect the laptop since it has been getting hairline scratches on it from everyday to day use. So I purchase one of those quick snap on covers from dell.com. Sadly 8600 is so old now they only had 2 left. Well I got the Green Bamboo one.

See Laptop with green cover:
http://www.zoggy.net/laptop/IMG_0449.JPG

Here is the cover alone:
http://www.zoggy.net/laptop/IMG_0482 (Large).JPG

It is boring and doesnt go with my laptop at all. So I wanted to modify it. So I started off on making a mask template to cover the things i did not want to paint.

Orginal drawn on paper:
http://www.zoggy.net/laptop/IMG_0490 (Large).JPG

Cut out of posterboard:
http://www.zoggy.net/laptop/IMG_0483 (Large).JPG

Stencil applied to cover:
http://www.zoggy.net/laptop/IMG_0497 (Large).JPG

First coat applied:
http://www.zoggy.net/laptop/IMG_0504 (Large).JPG

Paints used:
http://www.zoggy.net/laptop/IMG_0494 (Large).JPG

Okay be back later with another update.
 
Mmmmm. Stanton... Nice Rotary mixer, Allen and Heath I presume (judging from the looks).

Nice, nice mod too. I dig the green =).
 
Clean it up and put some clear. :D Are you going to sand and rub the clear?
 
Well sadly i dropped a piece of sticky stuff on it and when i peeled it off it took some paint so i had to incorprate some of the paint being missing. So i masked off the center again.

http://www.zoggy.net/laptop/IMG_0534 (Large).JPG

I have some sandpaper for wet sand, but i have no clue on how to do it. I tried and it just scratched the holly hell out of the paint. I'm trying to get this all done before tonight so i can take it to qcon. So that is sadly another factor on time constraints.
 
Well putting clear coat on, you should never attempt to fix a blemish or remove a piece of fuzz that lands on it. It results in you taking the clear coat + the paint underneath off.
 
Back
Top