Operating system performance

thedude42

Limp Gawd
Anyone out there running mutiple OS platforms and noticing a significant difference between performance when considering similar hardware?

My experience thus far is that my ubuntu linux running gnome and server services completes more work units than my windows machines. I have a windows machine running a sempron at 2GHz and the linux machine running an XP 2400, both with 1GB RAM. The linux machine is kicking out WU at 2:1 compared to the windows machine.

Anyone else notice similar results?

thedude42 said:
Anyone out there running mutiple OS platforms and noticing a significant difference between performance when considering similar hardware?

My experience thus far is that my ubuntu linux running gnome and server services completes more work units than my windows machines. I have a windows machine running a sempron at 2GHz and the linux machine running an XP 2400, both with 1GB RAM. The linux machine is kicking out WU at 2:1 compared to the windows machine.

Anyone else notice similar results?
Here's a couple of questions you post makes me think of.

1, are you using any of the computers for anything else?
2, windows based systems tend to have more crap running in the background, have you tried cleaning it up some?
3, i need a nap.

both computers have relatively the same load time, the vast majority of their day doing absolutely nothing.

And yes, the XP machine is slicked down except for one thing I didn't even stop to think about: symantec client security (aka SAV corporate). I really need to uninstall that and install kaspersky or something else.

Unfortunately, I don't trust the rest of the people on my network enough to not run AV on a windows machine. Last machine I moved from SAV toanother AV, it improved performance significantly.

There are differences in the size of the work units. It could be that the linux box is getting many more smaller units that take less time than the XP box.

I have read in a few places that the linux client is slow... Perhaps it doesnt support SSE instructions? Alot of people say if you're going to fold on linux you'll get better performance running the Windows client via Lindows.. Anyone have experience with this?

kaleb_zero said:
I have read in a few places that the linux client is slow... Perhaps it doesnt support SSE instructions? Alot of people say if you're going to fold on linux you'll get better performance running the Windows client via Lindows.. Anyone have experience with this?
the OP just mentioned the exact opposite.

Back