Opera vs Firefox...?

BullShit... Green is better than Yellow... everyone knows that
Jebus... man get it together....

The only problem I have with Opera is the side-to-side scrolling doesn't seem to be supported with either Microsoft or Logitech mice.

BlueMeanie said:
  • Middle button mouse clicks to open a window in the background. How do people use IE and Google without that kinda feature?
  • What is a pop-up? I haven't seen oneof these in years. By setting Opera to block pop-ups means I don't see any. In fact, I hadn't realised how bad the pop-up problems had got in the "real world" until I started fixing PCs for a living and looked at the average IE user. First time I saw fifty pop-up windows appear on a customer PC I burst out laughing.
  • Remembering my previous browsing session means I can just return to my previous browsing at any time.
  • Incredibly customisable. Everything is in simple editable ini files. So toolbars can be rearranged or removed. Menus competely re-written and rearranged. Keyboard and mouse short cuts can be changed to one's own personal choices.

Yup FF has much of the same features. One thing I never knew about until the 2nd year I've used FF is the middle click. I had no idea I could use "wheel" itself as a middle click. That forever changed my tabbing experience. I used to hold down Ctrl to do that, but Middle-click is even faster.

Browsing sessions...eh. I tried an FF extension for that, but then I realized why go back ot a previous session? I usually just do "Bookmark All tabs in a folder", then when I'm done with all those bookmarks, I'll delete that folder (I call it, say, "Project Research Day1" or something like that). So the "sessions" thing didn't seem all that necessary.

Now, I have no idea how customizable Opera is (haven't played with it that much), but considering that people have done Safari-clones with FF, I'd say FF is pretty well off. Not saying its better/worse, but it certainly can hold its own.

Wouldn't it be really boring if we all used the same browser? The competion is what gets all the nice features put into the products. Both Opera and Firefox are created by people who actually know what a browser should do, and they realise how to make our life easier. And they also realise that security is important to us, and most bugs get fixed within days.

Whereas IE is made to "fill a gap". Giving just about enough support to work. Not caring if it breaks standards. And most importantly there must be a nice, buggy system for advertisers to ram their insecure code into the browser without asking. If there is a security issue, don't worry about telling the customer that his PC is at risk. Just patch it a few months later.

BlueMeanie said:
Wouldn't it be really boring if we all used the same browser? The competion is what gets all the nice features put into the products. Both Opera and Firefox are created by people who actually know what a browser should do, and they realise how to make our life easier

very nicely said.

Uberdumm said:
I'm impressed. No flames either way yet.
A tribute to our members :)

freindly polite forums are the norm round here ;)
when they arent the mods bust out the clue by four and rapier wit :p

Firefox here, using since version 0.7. I tried using Opera a while ago, but it was slow as heck and did not look very pretty.

Back