Opera Notches 100 Million Mobile Users

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
You remember Opera, right? It’s that other browser that continually refuses to go away after 17 years. Opera may yet show the world that it is the leading browser of choice, not on computer screens, but on 100 million mobile browsers worldwide.
At the upcoming Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona, Opera will highlight new versions of the Opera Mini browser on Android, iPhone, Java 2 Platform Micro Edition (J2ME), BlackBerry, Symbian and the iPad.

its a small lightweight browser that uses servers to process the data before it is recent to the cell phone's weaker processor. it is often better thant he default cell phone browsers. i am surprused that Mozilla does not try to compete int his field.

Their Symbian version is way, way better than the web browsers included in any S60 Nokia phone by default. It supports tabs, has an intuitive touch screen interface and renders pages much faster. I had a venerable E71 business smartphone and I could actually open 5+ tabs at once without the browser crashing or the entire handset screeching to a halt.

I just installed it on my Droid incredible, and I really like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

One of the first things I installed on my blackberry bold when I got it almost 2 years ago

Opera REALLY got better on the desktop front too! I'm using Opera 11 in Linux right now and I have to say it's MUCH faster than Chromium. Plus, new extensions are coming to it everyday.

Opera REALLY got better on the desktop front too! I'm using Opera 11 in Linux right now and I have to say it's MUCH faster than Chromium. Plus, new extensions are coming to it everyday.

It's the fastest or one of the fastest full feature browsers, but it was incompatible with so many pages I ditched it for Chrome.

I use Opera in Linux fairly exclusively. It's the only browser that seemed to behave consistently whatever the issue was. Predictable crashes/issues are better than random ones, that's for sure.

On the phone? Dunno. Opera's nice, I guess, not significantly faster or slower than Browser on my Android phone. I found Dolphin HD to be much better than both, though.

I tried it on my nexus one. Not impressed. Even fennec is not all that great, imho. The generic android browser always seems to work fine. For me, opera is a solution in search of a problem.

Plus I prefer not to have some middle man processing my web activity.

It's the fastest or one of the fastest full feature browsers, but it was incompatible with so many pages I ditched it for Chrome.

I haven't experienced any rendering problems with Opera 11 yet.

I still prefer Dolphin HD to Opera on my Epic. Call me crazy, but it just seems to run smoother than Opera.

For my desktop though, I use Opera almost exclusively.

Love it! Use it all the time on my N900, and the fact that it neatly syncs with Opera 11 on my desktop is another bonus.

It really is a good and fast Standards Compatible browser.. now if we could just get all the web sites to meet web standards too :)

I have opera mobile and mini on my 5800. It's much better than the stock nokia browser and does a good job with most pages. I use mini when i'm away from home.

Opera Mini ftw! For me it's the preferred browser on every phone i've owned till date.

On mobile, Opera Mobile is the way to go if your platform supports it (S60, WinMo). Opera Mini pales in comparison. Mobile handles Java nicely enough, for a mobile browser, and handles in touch screen phones nicely as well.

On desktop, Opera's been my choice since 9.6. Fully featured and fast. Firefox 4 Beta is still slower than Opera 11, and the latest Chrome is about as fast but missing a number of the features that are integrated into Opera.

You remember Opera, right? It’s that other browser that continually refuses to go away after 17 years. Opera may yet show the world that it is the leading browser of choice, not on computer screens, but on 100 million mobile browsers worldwide.

Opera did invent most of the things we have in modern browsers today that we take for granted. I'm surprised they don't have some kind of copyright on that intellectual property like for tabbed browsing, the quick dial page, etc.

Remember? It's stlil my primary browser. I still get new features about a year before the other browsers copy them.

It's my default desktop browser. I prefer the way it increases text size without breaking the page in most cases.

Opera also has something like 50-60 million desktop users.

My soccer referee website (arbiter) stopped supporting the default browser on my S60 phone. I downloaded opera mobile and i haven't looked back.

Back