Opera keeps saying access denied...

Nazo

2[H]4U
It's kind of weird, but, lately when I visit many sites I get an access denied error. It says something about being unable to access "the file" (that's the most specific it gets.) Thing is, this error is a little more unusual than just that. It will actually load just about the entire page (sometimes next to nothing, sometimes the entire page) and THEN show that error page. I can hit the back to get to the normal site. Thing is, since it aborts the connection the moment it pops up the message, quite a number of sites don't fully load. Besides, this problem is HORRIBLY annoying and it gets rather tiresome having to put up with it. I have plenty of HD space free, and I've set the hd cache size to be rather large (biggest size you can enter) while the memory cache is set to automatic.

I didn't have this trouble until about two or three days ago, I think around when I tried to use Proxomitron to bypass google's stupid browser checking, but, I've already given up on that, taken Proxomitron out of the startup, and set opera to NOT use a proxy... Beyond that, I have no idea what else could have caused this. Not only have I removed the address, but, I've also unchecked the "use proxy servers" option.

This is getting terribly annoying, and I just can't figure out what's causing it exactly -- especially since it seems to be happening completly randomly. There is no consistancy about when or where it does this. I've even seen it happen when I did a search on google one time (eg almost purely text, so a relatively small page) while at another time I've seen it do this in my yahoo e-mail (images and such making it much larger.)

EDIT: For those with signature viewing turned off, I'm using Opera 8 Beta 2. I don't think it's the beta's fault because no one else has reported this that I could find (unless I searched wrong.) Also, remember that it was working for over a week at the very least without this error and then just all of a sudden it happens. Oh, and, quite possibly every single download I try immediately fails. If I hit retransfer, it's ok, but, that's VERY annoying, especially since I forget to hit retransfer sometimes.

BTW. I believe on a related matter, quite often images won't load or are incomplete. I often have to right click and tell it to reload them. I suspect this is directly related to the other problem. Every now and then I even run into one that won't load at all no matter how much I click reload...

*sigh* I was reminded a lot just now by a site that relied HEAVILY on image maps...

That's odd.

While Opera is closed, you could delete everything under [Proxy] in Opera6.ini in the 8 beta 2 profile folder. Save the changes of course. Maybe the setting changes aren't being written correctly.

Under tools->preferences->network-> make sure synchronous dns is unchecked and set the connections to 8:20 just to see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, change to 4:20. An Opera developer once said something about image problems might be solved by setting the max connections to the server to 4. (When set to 4, something else is turned off or limited. Don't remember if it was piplelining or persistent connections or keep alive or something).

Also, Opera 8 automatically detects slipstream accelerator programs. If you have the accelarator program running before you start Opera, when Opera loads, Opera will overwrite any proxy settings you have and set itself up to use the accelerator. If you have one of those accelerators, the beta might be having a problem with it.

If none of that works, you could wipe out the profile and mail folder in your 8 beta 2 profile and let Opera regenerate it. (You'd lose all settings, mail, passwords etc.).

If that doesn't work, you could try reinstalling Opera 8 beta 2.

If that doesn't work, install 8 preview 5.1 to see if that helps.

If all else fails, you can uninstall all Operas and sift through the registry (if on windows) to get rid of anything left over by Opera. Then reinstall.

Check your hosts file too. Maybe it got messed up. (That'd affect other browses too, butl..)

If none of that works, scan for spyware etc, which you probably already tried.

If you registered Opera, did you setup filter.ini?

Besides that, not sure.

Meh, I'm desperate. Well, I just deleted the whole profile and reset every thing up. Didn't do any good I'm afraid. Well, I'm not seeing obvious differences so far with max connections to server set to 4. I don't particularly care to go back all the way to the preview release though... I'm more inclined to try to find a backup of beta 1 if I have to worry about such things, though hopefully they are working hard enough that in the not so far future a stable release for 8 will finally come out... Oh, and btw, any Opera registry entries should be of little to no actual importance. I keep a seperate copy on my flash drive for the school computers (no, never run it at home, in fact, I installed it on a school computer.) It runs flawlessly on the school computers with all my settings intact (even uses the correct skin file.) Opera keeps all it's settings in the ini files. You see, these school computers are reset to a "safe" (eg poorly setup, but, technically working -- if you don't mind having to reconfigure things every single day) image every evening so any and all settings kept on the PC anywhere at all are lost completely.

I do have it registered, but, I have not configured filter.ini (in fact, don't know what it is to be perfectly honest...)

As for hosts, well, bear in mind I visited the same sites in firefox and had no troubles. I'm actually using the hosts file mentioned here, though I need to go through and remove all the duplicate entries that seem to be in there.

Well, all I know to do is see what the 4:20 does and try that for a while. It does seem as if lowering my disk cache size actually helped a bit though. I used to run a squid proxy (was too lazy to set it back up with this latest install of windows) so I might go back to that again and set the browser cache even smaller if this proves to be beneficial somehow. Thing is, it's hard to reproduce the error. It never does it when I'm testing, but, always does it when I actually need to use a site properly (such as the annoying one that INSISTS on using image maps...)

Yeh, the registry settings wouldn't normally cause a problem. However, I've had the k-lite codec mess up some registry settings that would cause ONLY Opera to embed the wrong version of WMP. Reinstalling/uninstalling the codec, WMP and Opera didn't work. The problem didn't affect Firefox or IE. I tried everything and nothing would fix it, untill I deleted everything Opera-related in the registry that the Opera uninstallers left behind. It was a long shot, but nothing else was working so I tried that and got lucky.

Opera's filter.ini, is similar to Firefox's Adblock. It's just not automated like adblock and it doesn't collapse the blocked elements. You can use profile/Styles/browser.css to collapse elements for certain sites as long as they have css signatures. You can also use javascript embedded in your browser.css file to have site-specific css to collapse the elements that you block.

Filter.ini is really more like a hosts file just for Opera. I use proxomitron for my blocking needs so I don't really use it.

You can use this program to set it up.
http://www.monroeworld.com/operafilter/readme.htm

Or do it manually
http://www.schrode.net/opera/url_filtering/

As for the 4:20 deal, that's also a long shot, but since nothing else is working, might as well try it.

I myself turn cache to 400MB and memory cache to auto and have no problems.

Also Symantec products can cause your type of problem.

Going to be hard to nail this one if it happens at random.

Thanks. I'll give this a shot for a while. I haven't seen the access denied for a while and the image thing seems to be less than before as well. I've only reproduced it on purpose on the one site since last night when I read your message.

Thanks for the link to Opera 8 Beta 1. Lol, I'm an idiot to not realize such an obvious place to look....

Back