Opera 10.50 Includes Speed Boost, Numerous Enhancements

HardOCP News

[H] News
Alright, you know the drill....if you are an Opera user or just a fan of alternative browsers, head on over to Opera and grab the latest version. Opera version 10.50 sports a new design, it is faster and has private browsing as well.

Opera Software today released Opera 10.50, the fastest Web browser thus-far produced for Windows computers. Opera 10.50 also includes a sleek and refined new design, as well as private browsing, where Opera hides all traces of sites you visit. Opera 10.50 is available completely free from www.opera.com.

I've been using 10.5 beta on and off for a while, and it is quite snappy in most cases. It does, however, seem to hang on the final page elements somewhat frequently; very annoying.

The visual tab bar is great if you don't already have Win7, as Opera also provides each tab as a thumbnail-previewable document window.

I also like the ability to completely glassify most elements, and run nice custom scripts that take advantage of that.

Overall, a pretty good experience.

I used the beta of 10.5 and liked it except for where it didn't work. The final seems to work everywhere I've tried and feels quick. Overall, give this one a try.

I'd give Opera 10.5 an A.

Ridiculously fast. I just updated from 10.1 to 10.5, and it's a big improvement. Win7 Taskbar Integration, extremely fast, private browsing.. Love it.
And my Synchronization settings were ported over without even having to say anything.

I would echo what others have said. I have been playing with the betas for some time and the speed is just insane. What I like mos though, is when you digg deeper and discover Opera's speeddial, notes, unite, synchronization, etc... its all there out of the box not 3rd party installs that may or may not contain viruses or be poorly written.

As someone else put it Internet explorer is the pinto of browsers, Firefox is the F-150, and Opera is the Lamborghini!

Both box-shadow and border-radius is working now. HUGE improvement.

border-radius seems to allow the same shorthand as -moz-border-radius. Very nice.

They seem to have fixed righct click menus as well. All in all a very solid release, i may actually switch from chrome.

I'm trying to figure out how to open pop ups outside of the main opera window. Example: Opening a Hulu pop up video.

Feels good to me so far. Crisp and quick. Like the transparency as well.

lathode: I don't know if there's a setting to make it pop in a seperate top level window, but you can drag the tab out of the existing window to break it free.

The UI change that's pissing me off is that tehre doesn't appear to be a way to keep it from overwriting the titlebar with tabs unless you place another control above it to serve as a buffer.

Just did the upgrade....so far so good.

The flash rendering is equal to if not better than Chrome's.

No out of the box touch support for my tablet PC, kind of a bummer for a company that makes touch screen enabled browsers for phones.

Anyone know how to achieve hand panning in Opera?

<3 Opera :)
They've also improve tab dragging too, its a long overdue.
And yay for private browsing :p

No out of the box touch support for my tablet PC, kind of a bummer for a company that makes touch screen enabled browsers for phones.

Anyone know how to achieve hand panning in Opera?

Well, with a mouse, you can hold down control + alt and move the mouse. There's also opera:config#Scroll%20is%20pan to turn that on all the time. Also, if you go into "tools -> appearance -> buttons -> browser view", there's a text selection toggle button that you can drag to a toolbar. When clicking it, it toggles the pan mode.

That probably won't be enough, but maybe you can make something work.

I started using Opera a few months ago. I was absolutely blown away by it, but then it started to take forever to load pages and was sluggish in general. Sad.

I started using Opera a few months ago. I was absolutely blown away by it, but then it started to take forever to load pages and was sluggish in general. Sad.

I think there are some performance regressions with certain sites. For example, despite Opera's JS engine and rendering engine being super fast now, Gmail loads pretty slow now. (It might be a DOM or Networking issue)

I think they're going to need a few point releases to make things better. Yet, I'm still using it as-is.

I'd use nothing but Opera 10.50 if only Netflix Instant Watch supported it. Damn you Netflix. It's the fastest browser out there at the moment and really really stable.

I'd use nothing but Opera 10.50 if only Netflix Instant Watch supported it. Damn you Netflix. It's the fastest browser out there at the moment and really really stable.

Did you try adding a site preferences for netflix.com and setting Opera to identify as or mask as Firefox?

I don't have netflix, so I don't know if it's just some JS browser detection issue, an issues with the player they use (it's flash, right?) or just some bug in Opera.

Well, with a mouse, you can hold down control + alt and move the mouse. There's also opera:config#Scroll%20is%20pan to turn that on all the time. Also, if you go into "tools -> appearance -> buttons -> browser view", there's a text selection toggle button that you can drag to a toolbar. When clicking it, it toggles the pan mode.

That probably won't be enough, but maybe you can make something work.

Thanks for the into!:)

Strange I am on 10.1 and check for updates reports I am using the latest version.

Strange I am on 10.1 and check for updates reports I am using the latest version.

That's because Opera doesn't want to issue the update automatically yet. There are a few bugs with 10.5 final that may affect some users.

Will Flash 10 still utilize my video card with this browser?

I don't see why not. It's up to the plug-in mostly. Unless Opera has a problem with some of the wmode values that enable acceleration, you should be good to go.

Whats to compare? I really dont get the super hype about firefox, compared to chrome and opera its shit.

I have them all installed. Firefox is my first choice as it has the greatest versatility.

Speed has been improving on all the browsers to the point that the only way to notice speed differences is in a benchmark.

Firefox is rock solid for me.

I see zero reason to give up Firefox at this point. When there is parity on extensions, I might switch.

Back