Opensource IT software

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
So I hate to say it, but my company is putting a freeze on spending for the rest of the year. We've had a 3rd party support contract which is ending in Nov. and thus our ticketing, system management/MDM, Antivirus, and remote support is going with it.

The company IS paying for new Antivirus in the form of Sophos and ERD. However, everything else is a no go. 200+ Users and 250+ devices, 6 states, some international, 2 domains, 13 servers, etc etc etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on helpful, free/opensource software that can help with the above and not raise some legality flags?

I've been doing a lot of searching and while a lot of systems SAY they are free, some key features are missing.

Maybe hit the job boards and look for a new gig since that place is heading for an apparent iceberg and I don't even know who they are.

Each one of those items are going to need some vetting. Maybe list what you are currently exactly so folks here can better help your predicament.

I'd find a new job... Freeze on spending? Why? That does not make any sense. I'd try and get all the data from those apps before you're access or ability is removed.

I'd look at Ansible, Linux, OSTicket, ILO/iDRAC (depending on servers)

We've got Dell Servers. I've used osTicket in the past and it wasn't bad. Might have to see what they've updated to.
And trust me, I keep thinking that maybe this will hit an iceberg, however I've been in and out of jobs for years, I was really hoping to make a thing of this, and the IT team consists of 2 people of which I am one of.

We're a Windows environment, and while linux would be great, I'm not the most well rounded in it and definitely not adding staff. This all should change with the new year so we'll have 2-3 months (hopefully) to cover things.

Remote software?
I'm working on InTune, O365/Win10, VOIP at this point, and those are just a few of the bigger projects.

I'm not sure what OS you are on but if you are at least Windows 10 and Server 2016 you get included AV that is pretty good.

Could use Manage Engine which is a pretty good Helpdesk but you can only have 5 technicians on the free license but you get full support.

For remote support, you could push out any sort of UltraVNC or something similar and be able to connect to computers.

You could also look at support contacts you are able to keep and kill anything you can get by without and ask to keep something you need.

Back