OpenOffice Tries To Woo Dell

HardOCP News

[H] News
The people at OpenOffice, not only sent a letter to Dell asking the company to preinstall OpenOffice, they also hit Michael Dell up for a financial contribution at the same time. Good way to cover all your bases.

"Let's have a conversation about how we could build an 'OpenOffice.org supplied by Dell'product to give your customers what they are asking for," wrote McCreesh, in reference to the demand for open source products on Dell's IdeaStorm web site.

Great idea. While I would choose the office suite any day over OpenOffice, that is simply because both are free for me (university license).

If, like most consumers, I had to pay for Office, then I would totally opt for OpenOffice. I wouldn’t even pay $5 for the full office suite...
After working retail, I have a feeling that most users feel the same way I do. All most people want to do is be able to open a word file and save things as a word file… that’s it.. nothing more. Dell is an idiot if they make their customers pay for the whole office suite when open office would work just fine.

That being said, I am sure that Dell will be reluctant because they probably get a cut of the profits anytime someone preorders Office. To get Dell to do it, I think they would have to charge a $10 fee or something to preinstall OpenOffice.

Back