Opening port issue

Matt897

Weaksauce
I've run several servers over the years, most recently server 2008. The other weekend I decided to change hardware to a better, faster machine. I rebuilt the domain from scratch (only a couple machines in the network anyway) and basically kept everything simple. This server, and all its incarnations before it acted as my router (two nics)....and i've very rarely ever had trouble.

When I switched hardware I added a third NIC which the virtual server uses exclusively. The modems IP address i've had for the past 2 years changed at the same time and for some reason I'm having serious difficulty opening or closing ANY ports. Port 80 comes through, however I've tried opening random ports like 2200 or 9 along with a slew of others to no avail.

The server does run routing and remote access set as NAT only. I have not touched network policy server/configured it. All the machines on the network connect to the internet fine including the virtual server. I've contacted my ISP (cablevision) and they checked my line and my account to ensure everything is left unblocked which they've confirmed.

Steps i've taken:
Checked/turned off windows firewall
Checked/turned off antivirus
Changed settings in RRA - along with disabling it and re-enabling RRA - all while ignoring the third NIC which is used by the virtual server.
Restarted and hard rebooted both the server and the modem.

I'm really not sure what else I can do on my end if the ISP is assuring me that nothing is blocked. I just set it up as I always do, and i'm at a complete loss.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Ok took a quick look - apparently connecting the old hardware to the modem gets me my old ip address.... very strange that a different machine would get a different internet ip address

Ok took a quick look - apparently connecting the old hardware to the modem gets me my old ip address.... very strange that a different machine would get a different internet ip address

not really.
it's different because of a different MAC address, nothing more.

as for your issue with port forwarding... what device are you trying to forward ports to? the virtual server?

Oh ok, that does make sense....
I got a few ports I want to forward to another physical machine and otherwise a few on the server itself just using 127.0.0.1. Neither seem to impact anything when I use a port checker site (I've tried several)

Alittle more digging it seems that routing ports to other machines is fine, however opening a local port using 127.0.0.1 still comes up with "connection refused"....any ideas as to why? I've disabled the firewall aswell for the test

use the machine's internal IP instead?
that way it's not trying to forward ports back to it's WAN interface?

I thought that might work too, I tried forwarding it to its internal ip but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Back